BTEC 103 Protein Purification (2.5)
Lec-34, Lab-34, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
An introduction to protein purification techniques including sample preparation, column chromatography, and analysis of purification. Hands on training with manual and automated FPLC chromatography systems used in industry and research laboratories. Purification analysis includes gel electrophoresis, specific activity, and mass balance calculations.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Perform standard column chromatography techniques.
- Outcome 2: Utilize knowledge of protein chemistry to design a protein purification strategy.
- Outcome 3: Select and properly use the instrumentation required to measure buffer conditions and protein quantity.
- Outcome 4: Relate biochemical concepts to protein separation techniques.
- Outcome 5: Record, analyze, and present quantitative data from protein purification procedures in written and oral format.
- Outcome 6: Work in teams to design and analyze a protein purification procedure.
- Outcome 7: Use purification analysis data to improve purification procedure.