BTEC 102 Bioreactor Technology (2.5)
Lec-34, Lab-34, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
Skills needed to serve as a technician in biotechnology production. Students grow and monitor bacterial and yeast cultures emulating the large-scale production used in industry. Cleaning, sterilization, aseptic inoculation, operation, and monitoring of fermenters and bioreactors. Current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP), and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) will be emphasized.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Follow standard operating procedures (SOP) and work with batch records in fermentation operations.
- Outcome 2: Work in teams to complete biomanufacturing projects.
- Outcome 3: Distinguish the basic biological concepts that underlie the growth characteristics of bacterial, yeast, and mammalian cells.
- Outcome 4: Relate biochemical concepts to the function of bioreactor components that control culture growth.
- Outcome 5: Work in a biotechnology laboratory governed by GMP regulations.
- Outcome 6: Select and properly use the appropriate instrumentation required to prepare materials for bacterial and yeast culture.
- Outcome 7: Select and properly use the appropriate instrumentation required to monitor cell culture parameters.
- Outcome 8: Analyze culture growth using growth rate and doubling time calculations.
- Outcome 9: Communicate results and data analysis from bioreactor operations in written and oral presentations.