BCST 130 Radio News & Public Affairs (3.5)
Credit, Degree Applicable
PREREQ.: Completion/concurrent enrollment in BCST 110
ADVISORY: BCST 100
Practical experience in researching, writing, producing and presenting radio news, public affairs, and promotions. Students research stories and write news, public affairs and promotional materials, and produce radio new packages for KCSF Radio, City College of San Francisco's student managed and student staffed Internet radio station.
Offered Fall semesters
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Describe radio news operations and organize a radio news team.
- Outcome 2: Analyze and demonstrate current presentation trends and career opportunities for broadcast and Internet radio news and public affairs.
- Outcome 3: Describe and analyze radio dayparts and how these are measured and controlled using appropriate audience analytics.
- Outcome 4: Describe and analyze storytelling format best suited for different radio dayparts.
- Outcome 5: Produce, appraise and present a radio news and public affairs package.
- Outcome 6: Identify, evaluate and create appropriate sound add-ons for news stories such as music, sound effects and other background sounds.
- Outcome 7: Identify and appraise structural elements of format, live and recorded interviews, appropriate voicing and tempo of news stories for radio.
- Outcome 8: Create public affairs programming, promotional materials, news stories and news packages for commercial and non-commercial radio audiences