BCST 103 Mass Media and Society (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
A general interest course covering the history, organization and social role of major mass communication media, such as radio, television, motion pictures, print, recording industries, multimedia, the Internet, and the World Wide Web. Basic theory of communication and communication research. Emphasis on the influence of mass media on the individual and society.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Summarize the history, organization and functions of the various mass media
- Outcome 2: Evaluate the fundamentals of historical and contemporary media/communications methods of analysis
- Outcome 3: Compare and contrast the roles and influences of various media
- Outcome 4: Describe the economics, business models and motivations of corporate media
- Outcome 5: Analyze the influence and impact of digital media and the Internet on traditional media industries
- Outcome 6: Evaluate the effects of mass media on the individual and society.