AUTO 52 Brakes, Suspension, Alignment (8)
Lec-105, Lab-105, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
PREREQ.: AUTO 50
or pass Challenge Test
This ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) certification course (A-5 and A-4 tests) prepares future technicians for a career in brake and suspension repair with an understanding of operation, troubleshooting, and preventive maintenance, including computerized wheel alignment, anti-lock, and stability control systems.
Offered Spring semesters
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Diagnose, inspect and repair brake hydraulic systems
- Outcome 2: Identify and demonstrate service procedures for disc and drum brake systems in the shop by completing shop performance objectives
- Outcome 3: Demonstrate ability to resurface brake disks and drums
- Outcome 4: Service, adjust, and replace wheel bearing assemblies
- Outcome 5: Evaluate and demonstrate performance and repair of power brake and anti-lock brake systems.
- Outcome 6: Compare and contrast types and operations of various suspension and steering systems.
- Outcome 7: Analyze, formulate, and perform wheel alignment strategies using four-wheel alignment equipment.
- Outcome 8: Inspect and evaluate tire problems and deduce causes and corrections.
- Outcome 9: Determine causes and corrections of various steering and suspension noise complaints.
- Outcome 10: Classify and assess brake and suspension systems, parts, operation, and nomenclature.