AUTO 206 Plastic Repair & Refinishing (2)
Credit, Degree Applicable
This course concerns the techniques of repairing, replacing, and refinishing the many types of plastic and fiberglass parts now being used in auto body construction. Many plastics can be heated, reshaped, repaired and refinished using a variety of different methods.
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Describe and use shop safety practices related to plastic repair and refinishing.
- Outcome 2: Differentiate vehicle structures and different types of plastics.
- Outcome 3: Select correct materials and tools for each job and know their basic purpose.
- Outcome 4: Evaluate plastic part damage and painted plastic surfaces.
- Outcome 5: Summarize and demonstrate the basic steps in repair of auto and truck flexible plastic part damage.
- Outcome 6: Compare the different techniques for the replacement of fiberglass, SMC (Sheet molded compound), and other rigid plastic types.
- Outcome 7: Demonstrate fiberglass, SMC and other rigid plastic parts repair.
- Outcome 8: Summarize the basic refinishing steps in plastic repair and plastic parts painting.
- Outcome 9: Calculate repair costs by writing up and estimating plastic damage repair, convert labor times to dollar costs, and estimate paint and material costs.
- Outcome 10: Describe the replacement procedure for windshield and door glass replacement.
- Outcome 11: Assess ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) certification test questions on plastic repair and welding.