AUTO 203 Painting and Refinishing (2)
Credit, Degree Applicable
This course is designed as an introduction to automotive urethane, polyurethane and water based refinishing. It includes a comprehensive study of the materials, equipment, techniques and processes in the successful application of each of the automotive refinishing materials by integrating classroom gained knowledge with shop practice.
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Describe and use shop safety practices related to auto body repair and painting.
- Outcome 2: Examine and demonstrate various painting and preparation equipment and materials.
- Outcome 3: Describe and demonstrate how to use different painting tools and equipment including how to assemble, disassemble and clean paint guns.
- Outcome 4: Summarize the basic steps in preparing a panel for painting and refinishing.
- Outcome 5: Describe and identify the steps in applying different base-coats and clear coats.
- Outcome 6: Describe the use of computer color matching systems and summarize the methodology of tinting solid and metallic colors.
- Outcome 7: Evaluate the most common paint problems and how to fix or refinish them.
- Outcome 8: Summarize the procedures and processes of vehicle corrosion protection.
- Outcome 9: Describe and demonstrate how to wet sand to remove minor paint imperfections as well as hand and machine compounding processes.
- Outcome 10: Assess and demonstrate how to clean and detail a vehicle properly.
- Outcome 11: Estimate repair costs including, outline sequence for estimating paint damage, overall damage repair judgments, convert labor times to dollar costs, and material costs.
- Outcome 12: Assess ASE (Automotiye Service Excellence) certification test questions on painting and refinishing.