ASIA 30 Manga and Anime (3)
Lec-52.5, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
An overview of the history and styles of Japanese comics (manga) and animation (animé), and the role they play in Japanese, American, and world cultures both as artistic forms of expression and as representations of social and political issues.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Elucidate the major historical events and periods in the development of manga and Anime.
- Outcome 2: Describe and evaluate the stylistic and cultural differences within and between manga and anime and compare them with other forms of popular media.
- Outcome 3: Distinguish the role of the manga as a form of artistic and literary expression of social cultural and political issues and ideas.
- Outcome 4: Describe the manga and anime industry from the writers and artists to production systems and distribution.
- Outcome 5: Differentiate and evaluate the interpretations of manga and anime from different Academic perspectives.
- Outcome 6: Analyze the role of manga and anime in Japan and their impact and cultural cross fertilization with similar forms of expression in the U.S. and other societies.