ART 146B Advanced Chinese Brush Painting (3)
Lec-35, Lab-70, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
An intermediate brush painting course that focuses on the development of a body of work using varied classical and contemporary calligraphy and painting techniques. Emphasis is on the student's aesthetic and creative success in producing a portfolio of work for transfer and professional opportunities as well as the student's appreciation of Chinese art and culture.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Distinguish between the various styles of classical and contemporary Chinese calligraphy and painting.
- Outcome 2: Employ painted shape and line to depict organic forms such as a variety of fish.
- Outcome 3: Analyze how Chinese artists express their poetic and philosophical ideas through painting.
- Outcome 4: Employ appropriate color use in relation to content, layering, value range and tone considerations.
- Outcome 5: Create balanced compositions corresponding to spatial placement of design elements.
- Outcome 6: Critique ones own work and the work of others.