ART 123W 19th Century Painting at the Legion (3)
Lec-52.5, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
The course examines 19th-century painting from the permanent collection and special exhibitions at the Legion of Honor Museum. All art will be discussed from both a critical and historical perspective, with regard to cultural context and formal elements of style.
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Identify formal visual elements of style.
- Outcome 2: Analyze style in an objective description of the elements of design applying arthistorical terminology.
- Outcome 3: Recognize the diversity of art movements in the 19th century and define the characteristics of each.
- Outcome 4: Examine the contribution of individual artists to the development of the 19th century.
- Outcome 5: Evaluate works of art in relation to context and historical background in which they were created.
- Outcome 6: Summarize the concepts that define and distinguish the various movements in 19th-century art and assess their influence on subsequent artistic periods.