ART 123V Renaissance Art at the Legion (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
The course examines Renaissance painting from the permanent collection and special exhibitions at the Legion of Honor Museum. Paintings will be discussed from a critical and historical perspective, with regard to cultural context and formal elements of style.
Class held at the Legion of Honor Fine Arts Museum
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Identify formal visual elements of style.
- Outcome 2: Analyze style by using elements of design and art historical terminology.
- Outcome 3: Formulate a definition of the Renaissance style and demonstrate its indebtedness to the classical heritage of Greco/Roman art.
- Outcome 4: Examine the contribution of individual artists to the development of the Renaissance style.
- Outcome 5: Interpret Renaissance painting within its cultural context.