ART 123U 18th century French Art at the Legion (3)
Lec-52.5, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
The course examines 18th-century French painting from the permanent collection at the Legion of Honor Museum. Paintings will be discussed from both a critical and historical perspective, with regard to cultural context and formal elements of style.
Offered on occasion
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Identify formal visual elements of style.
- Outcome 2: Analyze style using an objective description of the elements of design employingapplicable art historical terminology.
- Outcome 3: Distinguish specifically French components of style in 18th century French painting.
- Outcome 4: Examine the French contribution to the development of individual artists and major movements in Western painting of the 18th century.
- Outcome 5: Interpret French paintings within their indigenous cultural context.