ART 109 History of Contemporary Art (3)
Lec-52.5, field trips
Credit, Degree Applicable
Examination of contemporary art, its principal styles/movements/periods, major artists and artworks in the major media categories. Analysis of late modern and postmodern developments in relation to wider historical and societal contexts. Further examination includes the challenges that contemporary forms, concepts, and approaches bring to traditional art history methods and practices.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Distinguish and analyze the variety of techniques and formal visual elements of individual works of art in different media.
- Outcome 2: Classify the significant movements/styles of Contemporary Art and analyze their components and characteristics.
- Outcome 3: Examine and evaluate the historical factors which led to the emergence, development and subsequent history of these various movements/styles.
- Outcome 4: Analyze individual works of art by employing the basic methods and techniques of art history, while assessing the formal and thematic characteristics of style and period.
- Outcome 5: Appraise and evaluate changes in interpretation of artworks and art movementsdue to the effects of succeeding scholarship and developments in the field of arthistory.