AMSL 1B Elementary American Sign Language (3)
Credit, Degree Applicable
PREREQ.: AMSL 1A
or demonstration of AMSL 1A
ADVISE: ENGL 93
or ESL 160
or Placement in English 96 or ESL 170 or any City College or university foreign language course
Continued development of American Sign Language (AMSL) receptive/expressive skills and knowledge learned in AMSL IA. Emphasis on conversational skills in functional situations, continued vocabulary and sentence structure expansion, and knowledge of Deaf culture and the Deaf community.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Demonstrate both receptive and expressive communicative competencies by following a series of basic commands and responding appropriately to routine questions about everyday activities.
- Outcome 2: Produce and identify fingerspelled words expressively and receptively using the American Manual Alphabet.
- Outcome 3: Respond appropriately to various language functions such as giving directions, describing others, making requests talking about family and occupations and attributing qualities to others, in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Outcome 4: Identify and apply essential linguistic and grammatical structures of American Sign Language in carrying out various language functions at an elementary level.
- Outcome 5: Identity and demonstrate understanding of key components of and multiple and intersecting dynamics of Deaf culture.