AHWC 9183 Unit Coordinator
Instruction in the community health care environment; ethical responsibilities; medical terminology; telephone, reception, and appointment scheduling techniques; nursing unit communication systems; medical transcription; patient's paper chart and/or electronic medical record maintenance; managing nonclinical functions of the nursing unit.
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Outcome 1: Describe the role of hospitals in the health care environment and the significance of health care systems.
- Outcome 2: Practice culturally sensitive communication skills, management techniques, and problem-solving skills for health unit coordinating.
- Outcome 3: Identify medical terminology components and define medical terms to transcribe physician orders onto a Kardex system.
- Outcome 4: Describe the ethical responsibilities of nursing and medical staff as it relates to the patient and the health unit coordinator.
- Outcome 5: Describe the Patient's Bill of Rights and the purpose of the Privacy Rule in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.