CityNotes for Monday, April 17

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu>
Subject: CityNotes for Monday, April 17
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 22:16:13 +0000

Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on CCSF campus happenings, events, important safety information, and more!

1. Diet, Nutrition, and Cancer - TODAY, April 17

2. Real Estate Career Night - TODAY, April 17

3. Upcoming Career Development Center Events - April 18 and April 19

4. East Meets West Series 2017 - Beginning April 26

5. Send Silence Packing - April 27

6. CCSF Asian Coalition Scholarship Dinner - May 5

7. TMOCC Workshop - May 12

8. Design Week 2017 - May 15 - May 19

9. VIDA Graduation 2017 - May 19

10. Want Help to Buy Food? You Might Qualify for Cal-Fresh!

1. Diet,
Nutrition, and Cancer - TODAY, April 17

Monday, April 17
4:30pm - 5:30pm
Science 302

The class Bio 61, The Biology of Cancer, presents a talk by Natalie Ledesma, MS, RD, CSO called "Diet, Nutrition, and Cancer."

We are confronted with overwhelming, and often confusing information about how diet influences cancer risks and outcomes. This talk will address the latest evidence-based findings on diet and nutrition to help you lower your cancer risk and/or feed a loved one dealing with cancer. Please see the attached flyer for additional details.

2. Real Estate Career Night - TODAY, April 17

Tonight is Real Estate Career Night for Spring 2017. Come visit us at 6:30pm and learn about the pulse of the current marketplace from industry professionals, and the requirements for becoming part of the real estate trade. See the attached flyer for additional details.

3.
Upcoming Career Development Center Events - April 18 and April 19

The Career Development Center will be hosting a couple of exciting events for students this week!

On Tuesday, April 18 from 11:30am - 2:00pm employers will be on campus recruiting for various positions suitable for Administration of Justice, Fire Science, Psychology, Sociology, and Child Development Majors.

For more information and to download a flyer, please click here.

On Wednesday, April 19 from 12:30pm - 1:30pm a "Choosing a Major Workshop" will be held in the Multi-Use Building, Room 39. Please encourage your undecided students to attend and if possible to RSVP to careercenter@ccsf.edu. Please see the attached flyer for additional details.

For more information about job or career preparation, please contact the Career Development Center, MUB 101 via email at careercenter@ccsf.edu.

4. East Meets West Series 2017 - Beginning April 26

In celebration of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, the Rosenberg Library & Learning Resource Center, in partnership with the Concert & Lecture Series, are hosting a series of lectures, presentations, and performances. Please see the attached flyer for a complete list of events beginning April 26.

5. Send Silence Packing - April 27

Join us April 27, 2017 from 9:00am – 4:00pm in Cloud Mall (plaza between Cloud and Science) for “Send Silence Packing.” The exhibit will display 1,100 backpacks that represent more than 1,100 college students who take their lives each year, bringing awareness and honor to those we’ve lost. This national traveling exhibit is appropriate for the entire SF community. More information about the exhibit is available here and in the attached flyer.

6. CCSF Asian Coalition Scholarship Dinner - May 5

Please join us for a festival and collegiate evening on Friday, May 5, 2017 at 6:00 pm at the King Wah Seafood Restaurant, 209 Southgate Ave, in the Daly City Westlake Shopping Center.

It is an event to celebrate 22 student scholarship winners, honor Outstanding Faculty and Classified award recipients and congratulate 2016-2017 retirees.
This year’s celebration will be especially joyous as we toast to 7 years of full accreditation.

The enclosed flyer has all the details including reservation contacts. We look forward to seeing you at the Dinner.

7. TMOCC Workshop - May 12

Save the Date! You’re Invited!

Teaching Men of Color in Community College Report Back & Special Performance by Drew Vai, National Spoken Word Awardee

CCSF’s Digital Learning Project Coordinator & Coordinator: Skyline Men of Color Project

Why? To build our capacity to decrease achievement gaps at CCSF
When? Friday, May 12, 2017, 12:00pm - 2:00pm
Where? MUB 240
Who? CCSF Faculty, Staff and Administrators

*Learn about becoming a part of the next Community of Practice!

Please join us to hear from CCSF faculty participants in the first cohort of the Teaching Men of Color
in Community College Community of Practice as we share proven strategies for recognizing and building on the strengths of our male students of color and addressing institutional and societal barriers in the service of closing achievement gaps. Refreshments will be served. Please RSVP to tburt@ccsf.edu

The Teaching Men of Color in Community Colleges CCSF Community of Practice completed the Cora Learning Online Course and met throughout Spring 2017.

Supported by the Office of Student Equity & the Multicultural Infusion Project

8. Design Week 2017 - May 15 - May 19

From the Department of Architecture (Program: Architecture, Interior Design, Construction Management)

Come see our exhibition of student work from architecture and interior design studios and meet our students.

Everyone is welcome to drop-in on Monday, May 15 and Tuesday, May 16 to see our juried final review presentations in Batmale 246.

Don’t miss our open house exhibition on Friday, May 19 from 4:00pm - 8:00pm in Batmale  246 and adjacent courtyard.

Final projects include design-build structures and  building and interior space concepts for Interior Design and Architecture studios. See flyer attached for additional information.

9. VIDA Graduation 2017 - May 19

Are you graduating and are an AB540/Dreamer student, or simply part of the immigrant community? Come celebrate your achievements and the sacrifices of your parents at VIDA Graduation 2017. Our theme this year is "Celebrating Immigrant Achievement" and graduates will be walking the stage at Diego Rivera Theater (Please note this graduation is a ceremonial celebration and is not the actual CCSF Commencement happening May 26.)

Graduation: Friday, May 19 Diego Rivera Theater 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Keynote Speaker will be Dr. Cesar Cruz (Ph.D Harvard School of Education)
Reception: 8:00pm, City Cafe with free tacos and aguas frescas!

For all interested in graduating with VIDA, reply to ajimenez@ccsf.edu requesting to be added to the list of graduates. You can also RSVP for all your family members in the eventbrite link below. Thank you!

10. Want Help to Buy Food? You Might Qualify for Cal-Fresh!

CalFresh, formerly known as food stamps, is a nutrition
assistance program. If you qualify, you can get extra food
dollars on an EBT card to make your budget last.

Applying is easy at CCSF - se
e the SF-Marin Food Bank staff on campus any
Tuesday from 10:00am - 12:30pm!
Drop by to see if you qualify in 5 minutes or less, or call our hotline at 415-549-7021.

Please see
the attached flyer for details.

East Meets West 2017_Web Version_Final.pdf

Ledesma.pdf

DesignWeek_CCSF_17_reduced.pdf

SSP Event Poster 4 27 17.pdf

CCSF poster_English (3).pdf

ChoosingaMajorWorkshopSpring2017.pdf

2017 Asian Coalition Annual Scholarship Dinner Flyer(1).pdf

TMOCCC Invite FINAL.pdf

Real_Estate_Career Night Flyer Spring 2017 (LeoBello).docx

VIDA_Graduation 17.jpg