CityNotes for Tuesday, April 11

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu>
Subject: CityNotes for Tuesday, April 11
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 19:22:37 +0000

Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on CCSF campus happenings, events, important safety information, and more

1. In the French Quarter: Let the Good Times Roll - April 13

2. Good Friday Concert - April 14

3. CCSF Ocean Campus Earth Day Event - Wednesday, April 19

4. Trump vs. the Media - April 26

5. CCSF Journalism Students are Big Winners at State Journalism Convention

6. Students: Join the Metro Transfer Academies!

7. FCCC Virtual Town Hall - Through May 31

8. The Monument Quilt - May 6

1. In the French Quarter: Let the Good Times Roll - April 13

The CAHS Meeting & Event Planning class invites you to join us on Thursday, April 13th from 5:00pm-7:00pm as we "Let the Good Times Roll" New Orleans style with great snacks and jazz by the CCSF Jazz Musician's club. Please see the attached flyer for more details.

2.  Good Friday Concert - April 14

April 14
2:00pm
Cathedral of St. Mary

City College professor Dr. Helen Dilworth invites one and all to hear her sing a free solo "Good Friday Concert" at the Cathedral of St. Mary, 1111 Gough at Geary, on April 14, 2017 at 2:00 p.m.

3. CCSF Ocean Campus Earth Day Event - Wednesday, April 19

Wednesday, April 19, 2017
10:00am – 2:00pm
Ram Plaza, Ocean Campus

The Sustainability Committee and Net Impact Club invite all CCSF students, staff, faculty and administrators  to come check out “Rise Up!: In Solidarity with Sustainability,” our fun, interactive, inclusive, positive, solution-focused Earth Day event. Participating organizations include SFSU Department of Environmental Studies, SFSU Department of Environmental Science, Recology, National Equal Justice Association, the National Park Service, the EcoCenter at Heron’s Head Park, the Tenderloin Corner Store Coalition, 350.org San Francisco, Habitat Humanity Greater San Francisco, the CCSF Poetry for the People Club, the CCSF Physics Club, CCSF Net Impact Club, CCSF Sustainable Materials Management, and CCSF Chemistry and Earth Sciences departments.

4. Trump vs. the Media - April 26

Wednesday, April 26
7:00pm - 9:00pm
MUB, Room 140

“Freedom of the Press in the Age of Trump,” a panel discussion featuring Pulitzer-prize winning journalist Jonathan Freedman, San Francisco Chronicle criminal justice reporter Vivian Ho, and David Greene from the First Amendment Coalition, on Wednesday, April 26, from 7:00pm-9:00pm, in the Multi-Use Building, Room 140, on the Ocean Campus at City College of San Francisco. The college’s Department of Journalism is hosting the event. For more information, call 415-239-3446.

5.

CCSF Journalism Students are Big Winners at State Journalism Convention

Written by Cassie Ordonio

City College’s journalism students captured 23 awards, including the coveted Pacesetter Award, Online General Excellence, and Magazine General Excellence at the annual Journalism Association of Community College (JACC) state convention held March 30 to April 1.

The three-day event held at Sacramento’s Double Tree Hilton Hotel hosted 372 students from 30 community colleges, some of which competed in On-The-Spot competitions, while others attended skill development workshops.

Additionally, conventioneers elected Guardsman Online Editor Gardenia Zuniga-Haro as their new JACC state student president.

Every Spring semester, JACC hosts an election to ensure student representation on its Board of Directors. A state student president and two regional student presidents are chosen. Michaela Payne from City College stepped down as NorCal president after a year of service.

“I was shocked,” Zuniga-Haro said. “I thought since it was April Fools they were probably joking, but when they confirmed it twice that I had won, that’s when it sunk in and I knew people believed in me.”

Zuniga-Haro is aiming to unite all community colleges by recruiting past community colleges who have been absent from JACC.

“Being on The Guardsman is all about being part of a team, a family,” Editor-in-Chief Bethany Lee said. “I can say from my experience in both that it was of no surprise to me that we did as well as we did at JACC. It was a well-deserved pat on the back for a team that pours their hearts into their work.”

Please see the attached for a list of the CCSF winners.

6. Students: Join the Metro Transfer Academies!

Great opportunity for students to receive extra support by joining the Metro Transfer Academies this Spring semester!

Metro helps students stay on track at CCSF and finish their GE’s and transfer requirements through extra tutoring and advising and other support. Each Metro Transfer Academy is a “school within a school” allowing students to build close relationships with their peers as they learn how to give back to their community and make a difference in the world. Metro Transfer Academies provides a clear, supported, course pathway to California State University/University of California system transfer. Our courses cover core General Education (GE) areas and provide the benefit of being part of a diverse learning community making positive social change.

Each Academy has a focus such as Health, Education and Social Services, Science, Design, Media Arts and Communication and Diversity Studies based at the Mission Center.

The Mission Center Academy offers students a central location, a more personalized way to go to college, and the benefits of being based in the vibrant Mission community.

Metro students also receive specialized tutoring, academic counseling, and assistance with CSU/UC transfer.

TO APPLY:

Students may submit an application either printed or online. For the program application please visit us at www.ccsf.edu/metro. Students can also apply directly at: http://www.tfaforms.com/360771

All AB540/undocumented students are especially encouraged to apply. Students will be selected on a first-come/first-serve basis. For more information, email metro@ccsf.edu or call 415-452-5237.

Please share this announcement with your classes! Attached is a postcard with more information. Thank you!

7. FCCC Virtual Town Hall - Through May 31

From Eloy Ortiz Oakley

We are working with our partners at the Foundation for California Community Colleges (FCCC) on an important project. We are developing a strategic vision for the California Community College (CCC) system – a long-term, ambitious vision grounded in the needs of the state. The purpose of the project is to articulate the importance of the CCCs for a public audience, identify clear goals for the system, and provide broad recommendations about how to accomplish those goals. Our hope is that the document will serve as a guide for the Chancellor’s Office and Board of Governors over the next several years.

As part of this project, we are hosting a “Virtual Town Hall” to provide a fully accessible opportunity for all stakeholders to provide input on the strategic vision. From now until May 31, all interested parties can provide input as directly on this webpage: https://foundationccc.org/Strategic-Vision-2017.

Given your important role, we would be grateful if you would consider forwarding this message to your organization’s listserv and inviting your constituents to provide input to the Virtual Town Hall by May 31. In addition, please feel free to share this message with any other organizations or individuals you think might be interested. We look forward to hearing from a broad range of stakeholders both internal and external to the CCC system.

8. The Monument Quilt - May 6

The Monument Quilt, a growing collection of over 2,000 stories from survivors of rape and abuse--written, painted, and stitched onto red fabric--is coming to San Francisco on Saturday, May 6, 2017. It will be displayed on the City College football field, 12L00pm – 4:00pm. By providing a public healing space, the quilt is building a new culture where survivors are supported, not shamed. Project SURVIVE, CCSF's peer education sexual violence prevention program, will be hosting The Monument Quilt. Co-sponsors are the college’s Physical Education and Dance Department, the Women’s Studies Department, and Student Health Services.

We need volunteers for three hours shifts on May 6. Click on this link to sign up and bring your voice (and body) to this vision.

For more information, contact, Leslie Simon, 415-239-3899; lsimon@ccsf.edu.

JACC Awards.doc

EarthDay_Flyer_2017.jpg

Monument Quilt at CCSF press releaseREV.pdf

Monument Quilt Flyer.pdf

new Orleans Jazz.pdf

Postcard orange blue_3.1.2017.pdf