CityNotes for Friday, March 17

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu>
Subject: CityNotes for Friday, March 17
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 19:30:42 +0000

Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on CCSF campus happenings, events, important safety information, and more

1. Healing for Change - April 8

2. 5th Annual Zero Waste Youth Convergence - March 19

3. 8th Annual Talanoa Series - March 21

1. Healing for Change - April 8

Please help spread the word about Healing for Change, the free day-long workshop for the CCSF community on Saturday, April 8, from 9:00am - 4:00pm in MUB 140 on the Ocean Campus. Participants will practice multiple healing modalities and enjoy food and connection. The event is part of our series of offerings to help us De-Stress by Healing from Historical and Individual Trauma.

For more information about the program and the presenters – and to pre-register for the specific workshop of your choice – please follow this link. Pre-register by March 18 to hold your workshop space.

2. 5th Annual Zero Waste Youth Convergence - March 19

Come join the 5th Annual Zero Waste Youth Convergence on Sunday, March 19 from 9:00am - 5:00pm at the CCSF Ocean Campus in the Multi-Use Building. The mission of Zero Waste Youth USA is to empower the next generation to create a zero waste future. Please follow the link below for tickets:

We have 20 free tickets available for CCSF students and 10 volunteer positions (for free admission).

Below are the registration codes for free or volunteer tickets. Students are required to use their ccsf.edu email address to register for the event:

2017CCSF: 20 tickets available
2017YCvolunteer: 10 tickets available

3. 8th Annual Talanoa Series - March 21

Tuesday, March 21, 2017
6:00pm - 9:00pm
Dinner/Refreshments Served

In association with The Talanoa Series of Las Vegas, NV, Salt Lake City, UT, San Mateo, CA, and our newest city, Portland, Oregon, the City College of San Francisco’s Critical Pacific Islands & Oceania Studies Program & VASA Transfer Prep Program, is delighted to present our 8th Annual Talanoa Series at CCSF for Spring 2017!

The word “tala” in Pacific languages means “story” while the word “noa” means “to tie or to bind.” When the two words are put together, they form the word “talanoa” which translates to “connecting stories together.” Our strong mission of the Talanoa Series is to bring together our students, guests, and communities to share and connect stories/experiences about topics and issues that shape indigenous Pacific Islander communities across our vast ocean.

In honor of sustaining our oceanic connections, we are pleased to announce our 1st speaker of our 8th Annual Talanoa Series for Spring 2017 — Marshallese Climate Change Activist and Poet, Kathy Jetnil-Kijiner.

A native of the Republic of Marshall Islands, Kathy Jetnil-Kijiner received international acclaim through her performance at the opening of the United Nations Climate Summit in New York in 2014. Her writing and performances have been featured by CNN, Democracy Now, Mother Jones, the Huffington Post, NBC News, National Geographic, Nobel Women’s Initiative, and other mainstream media outlets. She has been selected as one of 13 Climate Warriors by Vogue in 2015 and is the recipient of the Impact Hero of the Year Award by Earth Company in 2016. Kathy co-founded the non-profit Jo-Jikum, dedicated to empowering Marshallese youth to seek solutions to climate change and other environmental impacts such as nuclear radiation currently threatening their home island. Kathy is also the author of her most recent publication out of the University of Arizona Press entitled, “Iep Jâltok: Poems from a Marshallese Daughter.” Kathy received her Bachelor’s degree from Mills College across the Bay in Oakland, CA, and a Master’s in Pacific Islands Studies from the University of Hawai’i—Mânoa.

Kathy Jetnil-Kijiner’s talk entitled, “The Poetics of Gender and Climate Change in the Oceania,” will be about her experiences as a Marshallese academic and leader living and working away from home. It will offer highlights of her extensive leadership, works of poetry, and creative endeavors, weaving through narrative concepts from Marshallese culture that inform her work. She will also share challenges and empowering possibilities of being a Pacific islander in the states and strategies for staying connected to homeland and heritage.

This special Talanoa Series is in collaboration with the 12th Annual Intersecting Identities Conference, “Reclaim, Never Refrain,” and will be held at the Ocean campus of the City College of San Francisco in the Multi-Use (MUB) Building on Tuesday, March 21st from 6:00pm - 9:00pm. Refreshments/dinner will be served. Disability accommodations provided upon request. Parking is available in the student parking lot near the MUB.

For more information, contact: Dr. David Ga'oupu Palaita, Ph.D. (vika) @ (415) 452-5923 | (206) 250-7468 | dpalaita@ccsf.edu or Prof. Lijia Lumsden | llumsden@ccsf.edu.

The 8th Annual Talanoa Series—Spring 2017 is sponsored by the Department of Interdisciplinary Studies, the Critical Pacific Islands & Oceania Studies program, the VASA Equity Program, the Diversity and Social Justice program, the Critical Middle East Studies/SWANA Program, the CCSF Diversity Collaborative which includes the following departments: LGBT Studies, Women’s Studies, Philippine Studies, Latin American and Latino/a Studies, Asian American Studies, Asian Studies, African American Studies, Labor & Community Studies, Disabled Students Programs & Services, Students Supporting Students (SCUBE), the Multicultural Retention Services department, the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Development, the Office of the Dean of Student Equity, the Women’s Resource Center, and the Pacific Islander Club (PIC) at CCSF.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Kathy Poster.jpg

Zero Waste Flyer.pdf