CityNotes for Wednesday, February 15

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu>
Subject: CityNotes for Wednesday, February 15
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 21:54:15 +0000

Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on CCSF campus happenings, events, important safety information, and more

1. Women's History Month 2017 - Events

2. Infrared Images of Yosemite - Beginning February 15

3. Islamophobia in 2017: What Can We Do? - February 21

4. UCLA Labor Studies Prof. Kent Wong at V.I.D.A: “Immigrant Youth in the Silicon Valley” - February 28

5. Asian Coalition Annual Scholarship Dinner - May 5

1. Women's History Month 2017 - Events February through April

Be sure to check out the exciting 2017 Women's History Month events put on by the CCSF Women’s Studies Department from February 1 to April 11.

Together, these events work to convey our collective ability to respond effectively and creatively. Please see the attached flyers for additional details, or visit the online Women’s History Month 2017 homepage.

2. Infrared Images of Yosemite - Beginning February 15

A series of infrared landscapes shot in Tuolumne Meadows and Yosemite Valley

Photography by Tom Risser
On display in Gallery Obscura - CCSF Photography's Student Gallery, Visual Arts 160
February 15, 2017 – March 18, 2017

Reception: Tuesday, February 25, 5:30-7:30pm

3. Islamophobia in 2017: What Can We Do? - February 21

Please join this educational opportunity and essential conversation, directly relevant to current events, our students and our communities.

It is more important than ever that we confront Islamophobia by dispelling myths, correcting misinformation, taking action and connecting current struggles with historical struggles for justice and equity. Please see the attached flyer for additional details.

Event Information:
What: Islamophobia in 2017: What Can We Do?
Who: Amer Ahmed, EdD., Director of Intercultural Teaching, UMASS Amherst, Acclaimed Diversity Scholar
Where: Lower Level Student Union, Ocean Campus
When: Tuesday, February 21st, 2017, 11:00 - 12:30 pm

- Please offer your students extra credit for attending this event.
- Reply to tracy.burtccsf@gmail.com if your students will be attending so that we can plan for adequate seating.
-Respond to Tracy Burt (tburt@ccsf.edu) to RSVP for a group or request flyers.

"Islamophobia, one of the most important issues of our time, comes face to face with one of the most precise presenters on the topic. With extensive experience, fierce insight and bold intelligence, Amer F. Ahmed unravels the culture of fear—and misinformation—that too often dominates our national understanding of race, equality, citizenship and American Muslims."

— Bakari Kitwana, author, The Hip-Hop Generation

More about Amer: http://www.speakoutnow.org/speaker/ahmed-amer-f

Biography:
Born in Springfield, Ohio to Indian Muslim immigrants, Amer has dedicated his life to engaging and facilitating diversity across human difference. His studies in Anthropology and Black Studies have been enhanced by powerful study abroad experiences in South Africa and Nepal.

Amer currently serves as the Director of Intercultural Teaching at UMASS Amherst, and has served as Director of Intercultural Programs at Loras College in Dubuque, IA and Concordia College in Moorhead, MN as well as the University of Michigan and Swarthmore College. His professional experience provides him with unique perspectives on Diversity and Inclusion policies and practices in Higher Education and numerous other professional contexts.

Amer is deeply rooted and committed to the empowerment of young people through unique approaches that seek to unlock their creative potential. Through engagement with new and social media, arts and facilitation; Amer is committed to lifting voices of the youth to create transformative change in the world.

Sponsors: Sponsored by Muslim Student Association, Students Making a Change (SMAC), Multicultural Infusion Project, Critical Middle East Studies/SWANA, IDST, Diversity Collaborative, African American Studies Department, Diversity Committee, Social Justice Studies, Women’s Studies and and the Office of Student Equity.

*Persons requiring accommodation, please contact DSP&S at 452-5481. Please give at least 72 hours notice

4. UCLA Labor Studies Prof. Kent Wong at V.I.D.A: “Immigrant Youth in the Silicon Valley” - February 28

February 28, 3:00pm (Rm.TBD)

Professor Kent Wong is one of California’s most passionate advocates for undocumented youth. He will speak about the work of the UCLA Dream Resource Center and focus on the publication “Immigrant Youth in the Silicon Valley.” This publication highlights the economic disparities immigrant communities face in one of the nation’s wealthiest and most influential economies. Please see the attached flyer for details.

Below is a small sample of the report findings:
  • Undocumented youth face immense barriers in accessing education.
  • Eight in 10 undocumented young persons are not in school, 26% more than other youth.
  • Undocumented youth are almost four times more likely to not complete high school.
  • Nearly one-third of undocumented youth, as opposed to nearly two-thirds of other youth, have some college education.

5. Asian Coalition Annual Scholarship Dinner - May 5

The CCSF Asian Coalition will be awarding 21 scholarships at its annual event on Friday, May 5. To apply for one of these scholarships, please fill out the scholarship application. Please see the attached flyer for additional details about the May 5 scholarship event.

Amer Flyer FINAL.pdf

Women_History_2017_Happenings.jpg

Women_History_Flyer.pdf

VIDAPresentation.jpg

2017 Asian Coalition Annual Scholarship Dinner Flyer.pdf