CityNotes for Tuesday, February 7, 2017

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu>
Subject: CityNotes for Tuesday, February 7, 2017
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 21:25:40 +0000

Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on CCSF campus happenings, events, important safety information, and more!

1.
The Chef's Table - Closed February 9
2. Naima Shalhoub on “Borderlands, Embodiment, and Music” - February 8
3. Julia Bergman Celebration - February 25
4. UCLA Labor Studies Prof. Kent Wong at V.I.D.A: “Immigrant Youth in the Silicon Valley” - February 28

1. The Chef's Table - Closed February 9

The Chef’s Table will be closed Thursday, February 9 to host a private event on behalf of the SF Professional Food Society. We apologize for the inconvenience.

This semester we have a new chef, a delicious new menu (see attached), and a new group of talented students eager to serve you. Also, we are now open on *Fridays (*Closed the last Friday of the month).

Please come and join us and support tomorrow’s culinary stars today! Reservations are highly recommended. Call Chris Johnson at (415) 239-3438.

2. Naima Shalhoub on "Borderlands, Embodiment, and Music" - February 8

Join POLS45 and the Critical Middle East, South West Asia and North Africa Studies Speaker Series for an evening with Naima Shalhoub on "Borderlands, Embodiment, and Music." Dinner will be served and the event is free and open to the public. Come! Bring your classes! Tell everyone!

When: Wednesday 2/8, 6:30pm-8pm
Where: MUB 140, CCSF Ocean Campus, 50 Phelan Ave. San Francisco

3. Julia Bergman Celebration - February 25

Julia Bergman, Dec. 8, 1945 - January 9, 2017.

A Julia Bergman Celebration (Eventbrite link for RSVPs)
This is a celebration of a life well and generously lived.
She savored each day and gave herself to family, friends, and her beloved City College.

When: Saturday Feb. 25, 2017 from 1-4 pm
Where: City College Ocean Campus, Smith Hall Cafeteria.

A Diego Rivera Mural tour will be given at noon.

4. UCLA Labor Studies Prof. Kent Wong at V.I.D.A: “Immigrant Youth in the Silicon Valley” - February 28

February 28, 3:00pm (Rm.TBD)

Professor Kent Wong is one of California’s most passionate advocates for undocumented youth. He will speak about the work of the UCLA Dream Resource Center and focus on the publication “Immigrant Youth in the Silicon Valley.” This publication highlights the economic disparities immigrant communities face in one of the nation’s wealthiest and most influential economies.

Below is a small sample of the report findings:
  • Undocumented youth face immense barriers in accessing education.
  • Eight in 10 undocumented young persons are not in school, 26% more than other youth.
  • Undocumented youth are almost four times more likely to not complete high school.
  • Nearly one-third of undocumented youth, as opposed to nearly two-thirds of other youth, have some college education.
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Chef's Table Menu 2017.pdf

NAIMA2.8.pdf