CityNotes for Wednesday, February 1, 2017

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu>
Subject: CityNotes for Wednesday, February 1, 2017
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 17:48:59 +0000

Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on CCSF campus happenings, events, important safety information, and more!

1. Remembering Older Adults Faculty Member, Judith Schwartz who was a part of our CCSF community from 2004-2014
2. Post-
Valentine's Milonga (Argentine Tango Party) - February 25
3. Bystander Intervention Workshops - starting February 7
4. Call for Submissions: Forum Magazine

5. CCSF Offers Scholarships for Summer 2017 Study Abroad Program in Paris

1. Remembering Older Adults Faculty Member, Judith Schwartz who was a part of our CCSF community from 2004-2014

Remembering fondly her many contributions to our older adults at CCSF, we report the passing of retired Older Adults Faculty Member, Judith Schwartz, on Saturday, January 7, 2017 from a long bout with cancer. For 10 years working with our CCSF Older Adults Department and with her belief in lifelong learning and many Eastern disciplines of the mind and body; Judith brought her love for the practices and her constant joy! She taught T’ai Chi Chih to many of our teachers and older students and at our various centers around the city until 2014.

On International Tai Chi Day, her final year at CCSF, Judith led 200 patients, doctors, and staff in an outdoor celebration of life and the practice of this meditative form in the new garden at Laguna Honda Hospital. Judith was an inspiration to many and a scholar of Holistic Health practices, including the Diamond Heart, which she loved. She was currently enrolled in a memoir writing class as well as a singing class.

Judith will be truly missed. She leaves behind four adult children and twelve grandchildren as well as many friends and students. A memorial was held with family and friends on Sunday, January 29, 2017 in Berkeley. Please contact Chemi Furah for more information: cfurah@gmail.com.

A spring memorial in Judith's honor with be planned later in San Francisco. Please contact Judy Hubbell at CCSF or retired faculty member Nina Gibson if you would like to help us plan for the T’ai Ch Chih celebration of Judith’s teaching, with Bay Area students and friends in attendance.

Written by Judith’s daughter Chemi Furah (with Judy Hubbell, Chair of Older Adults).

2. Post-Valentine's Milonga (Argentine Tango Party) - February 25

Saturday, February 25
7:00pm - Intro Lesson for absolute beginners,
8:00pm - 10:30pm Tango Party
Wellness Center, Performance Studio 301.

Admission: $5-10 sliding scale entry/cash only, at the door (to benefit CCSF Dance)
Tango DJ: Bobbi Noyer
Latin Set: Ronnie Louie

Please use Ocean Avenue entrance to the building. Studio doors will open at 6:55pm.
CCSF Faculty Host Chelsea Eng: ceng@ccsf.edu
The wearing of red, pink and hearts is encouraged!

3. Bystander Intervention Workshops - starting February 7

All community members are invited and encouraged to attend a Bystander Intervention Workshop to build our collective capacity to resist oppression. The 75-minute workshop is offered at six separate times from Feb. 7 to Feb. 16. See flyer for times and locations.

4. Call for Submissions: Forum Magazine

Please promote submissions to Forum, CCSF's literary magazine since the 1930s. We accept all genres of writing and art. The flyer is attached. Feel free to tell your friends, post on social media, etc. Our focus is on submissions from all current and past CCSF students, faculty, employees, and alumni, but we are also open to submissions from all Bay Area residents (and beyond). Find us online at http://forumccsf.org and https://www.facebook.com/ForumMagazine.

5. CCSF Offers Scholarships for Summer 2017 Study Abroad Program in Paris

The Study Abroad Office is pleased to announce that we are once again offering a summer Study Abroad Program in Paris during July, 2017. Additionally, thanks to generous gifts from program supporters totaling over $5,000, CCSF students will be able to apply for scholarships to study abroad.

CCSF has offered study abroad opportunities in Paris since 1985, and thousands of CCSF students have experienced the impact of living and studying abroad. Leading the summer program again this year will be former CCSF Foreign Language Chair, Tom Blair, who has devoted forty summers taking students to Paris. Participants will live in the heart of the city, only a short walk from the Luxembourg Gardens. In addition to morning language classes, participants will have the opportunity to enjoy many of the cultural highlights of the city from attending a ballet or opera to gourmet dinners and neighborhood walks and museum visits.

Participants in the Paris program run the gambit range in age from 18-80+, and are as diverse as the Bay Area. This popular program attracts both new-comers and repeat participants.

Along with the French classes which are the core of the program, as well as the cultural activities mentioned above, the program also includes:
  • A day trip to historic Rouen and a visit to Monet’s home at Giverny,
  • A day trip to privately-owned Vaux-le-Vicomte castle,
  • A weekend trip to the Loire Valley to see spectacular Chenonceau castle and the towns of Amboise and Loches.
To learn more about this opportunity to grow your Parisian roots, please visit the CCSF Study Abroad Programs site and click on “Summer Programs” and then “Summer in Paris.”

Or drop by Study Abroad Advisor Jill Heffron’s office in Cloud Hall, Room 212 for a brochure. You can also email her at jheffron@ccsf.edu to request a brochure and application.

In order to obtain a scholarship application, please contact Dr. Tom Blair at tblair@ccsf.edu.

Free program previews are held once a month on Saturdays at the Downtown campus, and the next is Feb. 11 at 11 AM. Please consider yourself invited!

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Judith Schwartz CCSF OLAD Faculty.jpg

sfwar bystander intervention SP2017.jpg

Forum Flyer 2017 Feb 21.pdf