CityNotes for Friday, December 9

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu>
Subject: CityNotes for Friday, December 9
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 21:40:26 +0000

Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on CCSF campus happenings, events, important safety information, and more!

1. CCSF Bookstores is Hiring!

2. Sell Books to CCSF Bookstore

3. 6th Annual Our Sea of Islands Event - December 13

4Upcoming Music Department Events

1. CCSF Bookstores is Hiring!

CCSF Bookstores is hiring temporary team members to help with Back to School – Apply today at follett.com/careers! Flexible schedule that’s class friendly, pays $13/hour, not a Work/Study job, employee discount. See attached flyer for more information.

2. Sell Books to CCSF Bookstore

Get cash for your unwanted books at CCSF Bookstores! Now is the time to sell your unwanted books before you leave for winter break. We are buying now for Spring Semester! Click here to see the top 10 in demand titles or visit ccsfshop.com and click on the insta-cash banner!

3. 6th Annual Our Sea of Islands Event - December 13

In honor of our commitment to expanding educational opportunities to the Pacific Islander communities in the U.S. and in remembrance of the legacies of our pathways into education, we cordially invite you to our 6th Annual “OUR SEA OF ISLANDS”. This year’s 6th annual theme, “Water Is Life,” celebrates the establishment and growth of Critical Pacific Islands & Oceania Studies programs at the City College of San Francisco, the College of San Mateo, De Anza-Foothill College, and San Francisco State University.

***Students enrolled in Critical Pacific Islands & Oceania Studies courses at CCSF, CSM, De Aanza-Foothill, and SF State will weave together critical issues of importance to Pacific Islander communities through song, dance, poetry, drama, and research.****

“Our Sea of Islands” is proudly hosted by the CCSF VASA Program and the CCSF Critical Pacific Islands & Oceania Studies Program and will be held at City College of San Francisco at 50 Phelan Avenue, Student Union, San Francisco, CA 94112 on December 13 from 5:00-9:00pm. Disability accommodations provided upon request. Parking is available. Dinner & Refreshments will also be provided.

***In honor of our theme, "Water Is Life," this year’s event is dedicated to several social struggles and movements that interact with our Pacific Islander communities. This dedication is in recognition of their existence and WE support their courage, determination, and efforts to creating better lives for our communities.***

**WE ARE OCEAN--STANDING ROCK, WEST PAPUA, DREAMERS, & BLACK LIVES MATTERS**

For more information, contact: Dr. David Ga'oupu Palaita, Ph.D. (vika) @ 206-250-7468 | dpalaita@ccsf.edu

*********************
Established in 2012, the students of Critical Pacific Islands & Oceania Studies @ CCSF created the event to share their work with the greater Pacific Islander community of parents, friends, family, elders, and allies.

Inspired by the late Dr. ‘Epeli Hau’ofa’s powerful essay entitled, “Our Sea of Islands,” students used the semester courses to engage in critical thinking and “Talanoa” (dialogue/talk-story) over social and cultural issues affecting Pacific Islander communities in the U.S. and beyond.

4. Upcoming Music Department Events

Wagner’s “Siegfried” - Saturday, Dec. 10th, 6:30 pm & Sunday, Dec. 11, 3:00 pm (TICKETS: $35-50 siegfriedba.brownpapertickets.com)
Full length, fully staged production with orchestra, conducted by Dr. Michael Shahani, in the Diego Rivera Theatre, Ocean Campus. http://valhalla.stanford.edu/

Woodwind Ensemble Winter Recital with Charlie McCarthy - Monday, Dec. 12, 1:00 pm
Students of Charlie McCarthy’s MUS 7W/17 perform works ranging from Bach & Haydn to Rimsky-Korsakov & Herbie Hancock.

Voice Class Recital of Songs from Around the World - Tuesday, Dec. 13, 3:00 pm & 8:00 pm and Wednesday, Dec 14, 3:00 pm & 7:30 pm

Under the direction of Dr. Lee Strawn and featuring our fabulous staff pianists in the Creative Arts Bldg, Rm 133.

Voice Class Concert of Winter Songs - Thursday, Dec. 15, 2:30 pm
Under the direction of Dr. Helen Dilworth and featuring our fabulous staff pianists in the Creative Arts Bldg, Rm 133.

Labor Heritage/Rockin' Solidarity Chorus Concert - Thursday, Dec. 15, 7:00pm
Under the direction of Pat Wynne with members of the South African Chorus, Vukanee Mawethu and featuring a performance piece about Paul Robeson. Potluck 6-7 pm in the creative Arts Bldg, Rm 133. Come one, come all!

Cello, Guitar, Piano and Violin recitals - During scheduled class finals.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Now Hiring_Steps.pdf

OurSeaofIslands 6 Flyer.jpg