CityNotes for Tuesday, November 29

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu>
Subject: CityNotes for Tuesday, November 29
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 23:20:52 +0000

Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on CCSF campus happenings, events, important safety information, and more!

Please note there will be only one issue of CityNotes this week due to the Thanksgiving Holiday.

1. CCST Open House at the Educated Palate - December 6
2. Disabled Students Programs and Services to the Rescue of Faculty Members Too!
3. Flower Condition: Photography by Yuri Uemura - Begins November 21
4. Open House and Community Resource Fair - December 5
5. CCSF Forensics Team Showcase - November 30
6. CCSF & SFSU Intramural Speech & Debate Tournament - November 30
7. Festival of the Moving Image 2016 - November 30
8. CCSF Annual Holiday Party 2016 Gingerbread House Competition - December 8
9. Language Department End of Year Party - December 7

1. CCST Open House at the Educated Palate - December 6

Join us for a Culinary Service Skills Training Open House to learn about opportunities in culinary, baking and pastry, and front of house service. There will be free kitchen tours offered and demos presented. Questions? Contact rridgway@ccsf.edu.

Tuesday, December 6
10:30am - 1:00pm
CCSF Downtown Center
88 4th Street at Mission Street

Please see the attached flyer for details.

2. Disabled Students Programs and Services to the Rescue of Faculty Members Too!

From Melinda Weil, PhD, Astronomy Department:

Broken or sprained a body part? Who you gonna call? DSPS!

When I fell down the Science Hall stairs during the second week of classes, the orthopedic podiatrist told me I had two avulsion fractures. Required to be off my feet for months, I didn’t know how I would be able to teach on just one unstable leg. I called Muriel Parenteau, Chair of Disabled Students Programs and Services, who immediately assuaged my fears by assigning me a scooter to use. I had seen students using the scooters, zipping around campus; they are also available for faculty members who are unable to walk normally. Chic, quick, great turning radius: You may like your scooter better than your car!

DSPS’ mandate is to provide counseling and academic accommodations for students with disabilities. Faculty and staff who are living with a disability or become disabled can also be accommodated. The person who coordinates accommodations for CCSF Faculty and Staff is Leilani Battiste, the Title 5/EEO/ADA /Equal Opportunity Compliance officer for CCSF. She can be reached 415-452-5053 or lbattist@ccsf.edu.

Ms. Battiste often enlists DSPS’ help when providing reasonable accommodations for faculty and staff, which are determined on a case by case basis. The individual with a disability is required to submit medical documentation. Accommodations can include more than just mobility aids, such as a document camera to assist instructors who cannot write on a black board and technology to help with typing, enlarging small print or assisting with hearing loss. Also available is information regarding the ride services in San Francisco and the Bay Area.

Whether you are permanently or temporarily disabled, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Try not to fall down the stairs! But if you do, you know who to call. http://www.ccsf.edu/en/student-services/student-counseling/dsps.html

3. Flower Condition: Photography by Yuri Uemura - Begins November 21

From Photographer Yuri Uemura:

I picked each flower to capture the instantaneous epiphanies. In seeing this short life and all its conditions, I firmly believe that I am not afraid of life or death, nor anything in between or after death.

Photography by Yuri Uemura
On display at Gallery Obscura - Photography Dept., V160 November 21 – December 3, 2016

https://ccsfphoto.wordpress.com/2016/11/19/solo-exhibition-yuri-uemura-flower-condition/

4. Open House and Community Resource Fair - December 5

You're invited to an Open House and Community Resource Fair on Monday, December 5. Get all the information you need to update your employment skills, get a Certificate, learn English, and get your GED, High School Diploma or Associate's Degree. Refreshments and snacks will be available.

Monday, December 5
5:30pm - 7:30pm
CCSF Mission Center
1125 Valencia/22nd Street

Please see the attached flyer for additional information.

5. CCSF Forensics Team Showcase - November 30

Come watch some funny and moving speeches from the CCSF forensics (speech & debate) team by attending our free showcase on Wednesday, November 30 from 5-6pm in Visual Arts 115. Click here to view flyer, or see the attached document for details.

6. CCSF & SFSU Intramural Speech & Debate Tournament - November 30

Perform literature, deliver speeches or debate! CCSF and SFSU students share ideas or stories with a captive audience and compete for prizes on Wednesday, November 30th from 1-6pm. Click here to view the invitation and tournament schedule, or see the attached document for additional information.

7. Festival of the Moving Image 2016 - November 30

A collaboration of shorts between Broadcast Electronic Media Arts and Cinema: You're bound fall in love with the ideas, shots, edits or people in all of the 37 fabulous BEMA and CINE movies.

Please check out the attached program (PDF).

Wednesday, November 30th
Roxie Theater
3117 15th Street, SF
Showtimes: 7PM and 9:30PM

Tickets available here (link) or at that door. Note: 1 screening is $12, but both are $15.

8. CCSF Annual Holiday Party 2016 Gingerbread House Competition - December 8

Gather a team and bring your best Gingerbread House to the competition. See the attached flyer and competition rules for more details. For questions, please contact Ilona McGriff, Interim Dean of Grants and Resource Development: imcgriff@ccsf.edu or at ext. 3979.

Thursday, December 8
4:00pm - 7:00pm
Smith Hall Cafeteria
Ocean Campus

The competition will begin at 5:00pm.

9. Language Department End of Year Party - December 7

The Language department would like to invite all students to come to our end-of-the-year party. There will be singing in many languages.

Wednesday, December 7
12:00pm - 1:00pm
Language Lab, Rosenberg Library

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

CSST Open House flyer.png

Open House Flyer December 5%2c 2016.pdf

Fall 2016 Showcase Flyer.pdf

Ram Intramural.pdf

FMI program2016.pdf

CCFMIPY.jpg

CCSF-Annual Holiday Party 2016-Gingerbread HouseCompetition Rules.docx

CCSF Annual Holiday Party 2016 Gingerbread HouseCompetition.pdf