CityNotes for Tuesday, November 15

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu>
Subject: CityNotes for Tuesday, November 15
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 00:12:36 +0000

Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on CCSF campus happenings, events, important safety information, and more!

1. Participatory Governance Council Meeting - November 17

2. CCSF CNIT Students Win Award at Collegiate Pentesting Competition

3. CCSF Launches the Technology Literacy Project (TLP)!

4. Summer Bridge to Success Students Make Significant Gains

5. Last Ballroom Party of the Semester - November 19

6. "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" - November 11 through November 20

7. CCSF Art Department invites you to their 42nd Annual Fort Mason Holiday Exhibition and Sale - December 2-4

8. 8th Annual Talanoa Series @ CCSF for Fall 2016! - November 17

1. Participatory Governance Council Meeting - November 17

The public is invited to attend a Participatory Governance Council meeting on November 17, 2016 at 3:30pm in Wellness Center room 103. Please click here to view the agenda. You may contact Mary Grace Esteban at mesteban@ccsf.edu if you have any questions.

2. CCSF CNIT Students Win Award at Collegiate Pentesting Competition

Earlier this month, CCSF students participated in a national cybersecurity competition held at the Rochester Institute of Technology. They won an award for "creative use of technology in the area of healthcare” sponsored by the IEEE, along with a $600 cash prize.

3. CCSF Launches the Technology Literacy Project (TLP)!

We are excited to announce a new CCSF initiative called the Technology Literacy Project (TLP). In our pilot phase, we have developed a three-part workshop series that we hope you will share with students. Our open-access workshops aim to address a growing need for digital skills in academics and life. Informed by student feedback, our pilot workshop series covers online research, classroom presentations, and job searching.

What will students learn?

  • Online Research: Students will prepare for academic research and writing by recalling existing (conceptual and factual) knowledge; differentiating between credible and non-credible sources; and exploring scholarly resources available to CCSF students (City Cat database).
  • Classroom Presentations: Students will investigate best practices of public speaking and effective communication, generate digital presentation materials; and understand how good presentation practices advance the learning of their audiences.
  • Job Search: By evaluating personal, professional, and academic experiences, students will prepare for resume writing by identifying relevant skills and abilities; and explore online resources, networks, and practices to support effective job searching.

When:

Workshops are held every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday until December 7, 2016. Please see attached flyers for details.

Where:

All workshops are held in the Latino Services Network (LSN) Learning Center Lab in Cloud Hall, Room 364.

All students are welcome!

No reservations are necessary; please drop-in!

Please send questions to TLP Coordinator Drew Vai at avai@ccsf.edu.

4. Summer Bridge to Success Students Make Significant Gains

Many UC and CSU-bound high school students boost their chances of placing high on college entrance exams by taking test-prep courses for the SAT or ACT. However, many high school students coming to CCSF have historically had limited opportunities to learn crucial test-taking techniques or to become acquainted with and review the content to be tested. One solution to this is Summer Bridge to Success. Recent data on Summer Bridge to Success students shows that this free 8-day summer program can enable students to maximize their testing ability. (Other foci of Summer Bridge to Success are college success, extensive career and majors exploration, and significant orientation to college resources).

At the end of Summer Bridge to Success, students retook the placement test. 34% placed into a higher level in math, 49% placed higher in English, and 58% placed higher in ESL. Of all attempts at any test, 48% of students increased by one or more levels. More exciting data is in the attached pdf.

5. Last Ballroom Party of the Semester - November 19

The final dance party of the semester is coming up on November 19! Take a salsa lesson from 7:00pm - 8:00pm that will cover both beginning and intermediate steps. The dance will be in two rooms in the Wellness Center, 301 and 310. Room 301 will have general ballroom from 8:00pm until 10:30pm, and room 310 will have Salsa dancing at the same time. The cost is $10 for the lesson and dancing in both rooms.

Please see the attached flyer for additional details.

6. "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" - November 18 through November 20

The CCSF Theatre & Music Departments are presenting “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” at the Diego Rivera Theatre on the Ocean Campus, and there are still tickets available!

Fri, November 18 at 8:00pm

Sat, November 19 at 8:00pm

Sun, November 20 at 2:00pm

$15 General Admission

$10 Students, Seniors

Please see the attached flyer for additional details.

7. CCSF Art Department invites you to their 42nd Annual Fort Mason Holiday Exhibition and Sale - December 2-4

Join us for the 42nd Annual Fort Mason Holiday Exhibition and Art Sale! Held at City College of San Francisco’s Fort Mason Center, the event features work from CCSF’s Art Department, Older Adults Program and Continuing Education classes.

Preview reception on Friday, December 2nd from 6:00pm-9:00pm.

Exhibit continues Saturday and Sunday, December 3rd and 4th from 12-4PM.
CCSF@Fort Mason is located in Building B of the Fort Mason Center, 2 Marina Blvd., SF 94123.

Works in Ceramics, Drawing, Jewelry, Painting, Photography, Printmaking and Sculpture will be available for sale and on exhibit.

Come by to find the perfect gift and to support the CCSF community!

8. 8th Annual Talanoa Series @ CCSF for Fall 2016! - November 17

In association with The Talanoa Series of Las Vegas, NV; Salt Lake City, UT; San Mateo, CA; and our newest city, Portland, Oregon, the City College of San Francisco’s (CCSF) Critical Pacific Islands & Oceania Studies Program & VASA Transfer Prep Program, is delighted to present our 8th Annual Talanoa Series at CCSF for Fall 2016!

The word “tala” in Pacific languages means “story” while the word “noa” means “to tie or to bind.” When the two words are put together, they form the word “talanoa” which translates to “connecting stories together.” Our strong mission of the Talanoa Series is to bring together our students, guests, and communities to share and connect stories/experiences about topics and issues that shape indigenous Pacific Islander communities across our vast ocean.

In honor of sustaining our oceanic connections, we are pleased to announce our 3rd and final speaker of our 8th Annual Talanoa Series for Fall 2016— Dr. Mary Therese Perez Hattori, Ed.D.

A native of Guåhan (Guam), Dr. Mary Hattori is one of nine children of Paul Mitsuo Hattori and Fermina Leon Guerrero Perez Hattori (familian Titang) and resides on O‘ahu with her son and husband. She holds a Bachelors of Education and Professional Diploma in Secondary Social Studies with a concentration in Pacific Islands History, a Masters of Education in Educational Technology, and a Doctorate in Education in Professional Educational Practice at the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa (UHM).

Dr. Mary Hattori currently serves as Outreach Director for the Center for Pacific Islands Studies at the University of Hawai’i-Manoa and is affiliated with three other graduate programs at the University--Cooperating Faculty for the Doctorate in Professional Education Practice, Affiliate Faculty for the Indigenous Politics Program, and a Lecturer for the Certificate in Online Learning & Teaching.

Dr. Hattori’s talk entitled, “Bridging Cultures,” will be about her experiences as a Chamoru academic and leader living and working away from home. It will offer highlights of her extensive research, leadership, community outreach, and creative endeavors, weaving through narrative concepts from Chamoru culture that inform her work. She will also share challenges and empowering possibilities of being a Pacific islander in the states and strategies for staying connected to homeland and heritage. Her talk is an expanded and updated version of a forum presentation delivered at the 2016 Festival of Pacific Arts on Guam that happened this year in May.

The Talanoa Series will be held at the Ocean campus of the City College of San Francisco in the Lower Level of the Student Union on Thursday, November 17th from 6:00-9:00pm. Refreshments/dinner will be served. Disability accommodations provided upon request. Parking is available in the student parking lot near the Multi-Use Building (MUB) or in front of Conlan Hall free of charge.

For more information, contact: Dr. David Ga'oupu Palaita, Ph.D. (vika) @ (415) 452-5923 | (206) 250-7468 | dpalaita@ccsf.edu

The 8th Annual Talanoa Series—Fall 2016 is sponsored by the Department of Interdisciplinary Studies, the Critical Pacific Islands & Oceania Studies program, the VASA Commission & Transfer Prep Program, the Center for Pacific Islands Studies at the University of Hawai’i-Manoa, the Diversity and Social Justice program, the Critical Middle East Studies/SWANA Program, the CCSF Diversity Collaborative: LGBT Studies, Women’s Studies, Philippine Studies, Latin American and Latino/a Studies, Asian American Studies, Asian Studies, African American Studies, Labor & Community Studies, Disabled Students Programs & Services, Students Supporting Students (SCUBE), the Multicultural Retention Services department, the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Development, the Office of the Dean of Social and Behavioral Sciences and Multicultural Studies, the Office of the Dean of Student Equity, and the Pacific Islander Club (PIC) @ CCSF.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!