CityNotes for Friday, August 12, 2016

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu>
Subject: CityNotes for Friday, August 12, 2016
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 20:58:49 +0000

Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on CCSF campus happenings, events, important safety information, and more!

1. Upcoming CCSF Photography Department Gallery Exhibition
2. CCSF Business Card Fall 2016
3. Join the "Ask Me" team
4. Free Online Tutoring Available Through NetTutor
5. Information Session at CCSF Mission Campus - August 16

1. Upcoming CCSF Photography Department Gallery Exhibition: Concrete Memory

Many of the areas that I photograph have transitioned from business or military structures, to kick-it spots for locals to unwind and explore as they make their way through life in such an ever changing home. These photos are a collection of dreams and memories that have stuck with me over the years. Taken with a 4×5 view camera.
Black and White Photography by Elaine Moreno
On display at Gallery Obscura
August 16 – September 10, 2016
Reception: Wednesday August 31st, 6-8 pm

2. CCSF Business Cards Fall 2016

The Visual Media Design Department is now accepting orders from City College employees for business cards. There is a $20.00 charge for 200 cards to cover the cost of materials consumed.

Please use the application form (see attached PDF) and send it with payment to Box V49.

Orders are due by Friday, September 16
and will be returned to you via campus mail during the week of Monday, October 17.

Please note that these business cards are produced entirely by the students in VMD 200, Emerge Studio. This project is repeated at the beginning of each semester, and is meant to be a learning experience for our students.

If you have any further questions, contact Colin Hall at x3082 or chall@ccsf.edu

3. Join the "Ask Me" team

From Curt Sanford, ESL Department:

Each semester we have new students who have never set foot on Ocean Campus and have no idea how to get around. How often have you seen students clutching their class registration forms and trying to figure out how to get to BNGL 212 or E109?

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a welcoming team of knowledgeable people stationed around the campus to help new students get their bearings?

During the first week of class this semester, Ocean Campus teachers are volunteering for a 2-hour shift to help students get where they need to go.

We still need as many teachers as possible for the “Ask Me” team.

As a volunteer, you will place yourself (while wearing a big “Ask Me” button) at a key busy area of the campus (or walk around the campus) and let students know that they can ask you any question that they might have.

Most questions will probably be about how to get to a certain building or how to take care of basic tasks. If you get a question that you are unsure of, you can help the student by calling the campus switchboard at 415-239-3000.

If you are able to volunteer with the “Ask Me” team, please sign up on this doodle link and stop by Batmale 728 to pick up your campus map and “Ask Me” button.

Hope the beginning of your semester is getting off to a good start!

4. Free Online Tutoring Available Through NetTutor

City College is now offering all of our students FREE online tutoring through NetTutor. All CCSF students can access up to 5 hours of FREE online tutoring, every semester, simply by using their CCSF email address. Math, English and writing tutors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week including many holidays! Many of the other 20+ academic subjects have late night hours and weekend availability. This is a wonderful resource for our online learners, working students or students caring for their families.

Once students log in to NetTutor using their CCSF email address, they can have a 1:1 online session with a trained tutor. Students can also submit essays, lab reports, or other writing to the NetTutor Paper Center for paper review (their papers will be returned to them within 48 hours).

For more information please follow this link to CCSF's NetTutor Online Tutoring page. You will find everything you need to know, including how to set up an account, a list of available academic subjects, a current schedule of hours and video tutorials on how to make the most of a tutoring session. If students need help logging in, they can contact NetTutor's Help Desk @ 1-813-674-0660 x 204.

Feel free to include the following link on your syllabus or to students in your class www.ccsf.edu/lac/onlineIf you want a general overview of NetTutor geared toward faculty, please consider watching this one and half minute video about NetTutor. See attached handouts for more information.

5. Information Session at CCSF Mission Campus - August 16

Please join us next Tuesday to get detailed information on the classes, programs and services at the Mission Center of City College.

Time: 9:00am to 2:00pm
Location: Room 107, 108 and 109, CCSF Mission, 1125 Valencia St/22nd

Please see the attached flyer for additional information.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Mission Center Orientation Fall 2016_08.16.16.pdf

CCSF NetTutor Flyer (1).pdf

NetTutor Subjects FLyer.pdf

CCSF_BizCards_F16.pdf