CityNotes for Friday, April 15, 2016

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu>
Subject: CityNotes for Friday, April 15, 2016
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 01:33:55 +0000

Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay up-to-date on CCSF campus happenings, events, important safety information, and more!

1. Philharmonia Baroque String Quartet - April 19
2. Manpower Job Interviews at Mission Street Campus - April 19, May 3, and May 17
3. Multicultural Retention Services Department/African American Scholastic Programs Rite of Passage Ceremony, May 17
4. Japanese-American Internment: Discuss its Relevance Today and Honor Interned CCSF Students
5. Academic Senate Election
6. ESL Programs - Help Us Spread the Word!
7. Grad Finale 2016
8. Faculty & Staff Appreciation: Adoptions Contest Winners!
9. City College of San Francisco Theatre Arts & Music Departments present CHICAGO A Musical Vaudeville

1. Philharmonia Baroque String Quartet, April 19

From Harry Bernstein:

I would like to announce an upcoming visit to the Ocean campus by four members of the renowned Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra (PBO), one of the foremost ensembles specializing in performing Baroque and Classical music on instruments from those historical periods. You and your students are invited to attend since this event is free and open to the public; it will take place from 1-2  p.m. on Tuesday, April 19 in A-133, in the Creative Arts Building in the northwestern corner of the Ocean campus. We are being asked by Philharmonia to provide a substantial turnout, so please let me know if you are able to bring your class. Here is a description of this lively lecture-demonstration, which was provided by PBO:

"Celebrating the creative genius of diverse composers from Europe, Africa, Brazil, and the West Indies, a string quartet from Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra will introduce students to some of the historic innovations in ensemble and orchestra music that continue to excite today’s audiences. Through interactive demonstrations, students will learn how the 'inner voices' fill out a classical ensemble’s sound, how the instruments 'converse,' and how classical composers have imaginatively built upon short motifs to create full-length masterpieces."

Outside of Philharmonia, the visiting musicians play together in a well-established string quartet known as the New Esterhazy Quartet. Their quartet is named after the Esterhazy family for whom Franz Joseph Haydn worked for decades as Kapellmeister and court composer. They specialize in performing the music of Haydn, Mozart and their contemporaries.

I would appreciate your sharing this information with your students and other faculty. (A flyer for the event is forthcoming.) Please direct any questions you may have to me at hbernstein@ccsf.edu.

In the meantime, I invite you to view a performance of the quartet as well as photos of the group.

2. Manpower Job Interviews at Mission Street Campus, April 19, May 3, and May 17

Students are invited to come to the CCSF Mission campus to interview for a variety of job openings at Manpower. Be sure to come dressed for an interview and bring your resume to the 1125 Valencia Lobby between 11:00am and 1:00pm on April 19, May 3, and May 17. Please see the attached flyer for additional details.

3. Multicultural Retention Services Department/African American Scholastic Programs Rite of Passage Ceremony, May 17

The Multicultural Retention Services Department / African American Scholastic Programs would like to invite students to participate in the Rite Of Passage Ceremony, celebrating student accomplishments in achieving an AS or AA. The graduation ceremony is $25.00 (Cash only). This graduation ceremony is open to all students of City College of San Francisco who participate with the Multicultural Retention Services Department/African American Scholastic Programs. Please fill out the attached order form for details.

4. Japanese-American Internment: Discuss its Relevance Today and Honor Interned CCSF Students

Do you know the story behind the Japanese-American CCSF students interned during World War II?

Or the former CCSF English teacher who launched a successful campaign for restitution from the U.S. Congress?

And the story behind the CCSF faculty members and administrators who in 2010 honored formerly interned students and their families with honorary degrees and a permanent art exhibit in MUB 140?

Join us to honor CCSF Japanese-American students interned during World War II and to discuss why this story matters to us, today.

Featuring:
John Tateishi, Director of Japanese Americans Citizenship League (JACL)
Kitty Moriwaki, CCSF ESL department and Admissions and Records
Glen Moriwaki,  CCSF Art department

April 19, 2016
4:30p-6:00p
Multi-use building Room 140
Ocean Campus 50 Phelan Avenue San Francisco, CA 94112

Sponsored by the certificate program in Trauma Prevention and Recovery, and the Interdisciplinary Studies Department.

5. Academic Senate Election

From the 2016 Academic Senate Election Commissioners, James Armstrong (jarmstro@ccsf.edu, 452-5397) and Karen Saginor (ksaginor@ccsf.edu, 414-860-4173):

Faculty, please support the voice of your constituency by VOTING in the elections for Academic Senate Executive Council, the polls are now open!

It will take you only a few minutes to cast your ballot online for any or all of the candidates. The deadline to cast ballots is 1:00 pm Friday, April 22, but do it now, before you forget.

You will need to know your CCSF Employee ID number (starting @ or W) and your PIN. These are the same numbers used to access employee WEB4 accounts. The Employee ID number appears in the upper left hand corner of pay stubs.

1. Go to: http://www.ccsf.edu/News/XC/2016
2. Vote. You may vote for any number of candidates, as there are fewer candidates than there are openings.
3. Enter Employee ID in the appropriate box;
4. Enter PIN in the appropriate box;
5. Double check selections;
6. Click "Submit The Vote" (Once button is pressed, selections cannot be changed);
7. A confirmation screen will appear AND a message will be sent to your official CCSF faculty email address verifying the candidates for whom you voted;
8. Congratulations, you're done!!! Thank you for voting.

If you do not know your Employee ID number and/or PIN, contact Human Resources (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm) at 415-241-2246. (NOTE: When a PIN is reset, there may be a delay before it can be used. Plan accordingly, so you can be sure to beat the voting deadline.)

If you encounter any trouble voting or have other comments, please contact the Election Commissioners directly or via senelect@ccsf.edu. The deadline to vote is 1:00 pm on Friday, April 22. Results will be announced the next week.

6. ESL Programs - Help Us Spread the Word!

The English as a Second Language program at CCSF offers students a variety of targeted programs that will help lead to employment. This includes:

- English Communication Skills for Health Professionals
- ESL for Child Development
- ESL for Work and Technical Education
- ESL for Health Careers

Please help us spread the word! See the attached flyers for additional information.

7. Grad Finale 2016

Tuesday, April 26th from 10:00am to 6:00pm

Multi Use Building, Room 140, Ocean Campus

CCSF Bookstores proudly hosts this annual event to celebrate all our graduating students’ success!

You are welcome to join us as we celebrate their achievement.

Graduating Students will have the opportunity to:

  • Take an Ussie with the CCSF Ram
  • Take Professional Photographs in Regalia and Business Attire (free poof included)
  • Order a Class Ring
  • Order Personalized Announcements
  • Purchase their Commencement Package
  • Utilize Financial Aid to purchase their Commencement Package
  • Purchase Graduation accessories
  • Purchase Alumni gear
  • And more

Please post our flyer in your office if you have graduating students asking questions and feel free to direct them to us for any questions about Grad Finale. All Graduation related items, including caps & gowns, will be available at CCSF Bookstores, Ocean Campus. Contact Karen Sheppard if you have questions: 415.452.5222 orksheppar@ccsf.edu.

Commencement related questions should be directed to the Office of Student Affairs.

8. Faculty & Staff Appreciation: Adoptions Contest Winners!

On April 12th and 13th we extended a 20% discount to all Faculty and Staff and opened our aisles to our Faculty members to check their Summer and Fall Adoptions…or submit them if they haven’t yet been turned in.

We served Starbucks coffee, assorted pastries and deconstructed snack mix. About 28 Faculty came by our stores, including some Department chairs and Deans: 4 to Downtown, 3 to Chinatown, 2 to Mission and 19 to Ocean.  We also enjoyed the company of several staff at the Ocean Campus store.

Faculty may recall the contest we announced in Early March: $100 to the Department with the highest number and highest percentage of submitted adoptions by the March 18th deadline (above 70%). We are happy to announce that the winners are:

  • Math Department, Highest Quantity
  • Behavioral Science Department, Highest Percentage

Both Department Chairs were presented with $100 gift cards and thank you certificate. We appreciate these departments as well as all of the faculty that worked to get their Fall Course Materials adoptions in by the March 18th deadline.

CCSF adoptions are still only at 71% completion for Summer Session and 43% for Fall Semester. Please continue to submit your adoptions so that we can make course materials and required supplies available to your students by the first day of instruction.

9. City College of San Francisco Theatre Arts & Music Departments present CHICAGO A Musical Vaudeville

Directed and choreographed by Deborah Shaw
Musical direction by Michael Shahani

Friday-April 15 & 22 8pm
Saturday-April 16 & 25 8pm
Sunday-April 17 & 24 2pm

Diego Rivera Theatre
City College of San Francisco
50 Phelan Avenue at Judson
General admission $15
Students, Seniors & TBA Members $10
No reservations necessary
Tickets at www.brownpapertickets.com

CHICAGO (1975) is a musical vaudeville with music and lyrics by Kander and Ebb and a book by Fred Ebb and Bob Fosse. Set in Prohibition-era Chicago, the musical is based on a 1926 play of the same name by reporter Maurine Dallas Watkins about actual criminals and crimes she reported on. The story is a satire on corruption in the criminal justice system and the concept of celebrity criminals.
CHICAGO is the second longest-running musical in Broadway history behind only The Phantom of the Opera. Don't miss iconic Fosse choreography and jazzy tunes such as All The Jazz and Razzle Dazzle!

Cast:
Flannery Alber
Joe Bazouzi
Nicola Bosco-Alvarez
Jennifer Cleary
Armando Cutino
Samantha Delucchi
Jack Faith
Karen Flynn
Ashley Foston
Mariel Garcia
Brittany Kamerschen
Camille Lake
Mandy Leung
Gabriel Lima
Kenneth Lum
Ramses Mariscal
Charlotte Mayang
Jamari McGee
Rafael Musni
Rachel Nip
Edgardo Pena
Adina Pernell
Andrew Sarran
Ted Speros
Michael Vetter
Gina White
Elissa Yakas
Montana Yaley

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Flyer-Jobs available-lobby.pdf

Congratulations rights of passage.pdf

#2016FallESL20flyer.pdf

#FALL2016ESL51A.pdf

eslwork2Fall20162FINAL (1).pdf

newhealthlfy_spring 2016for terri no marks.pdf

1325_GradFinale2016_Flyer.pdf

Regalia Rental Order Form_2016 (1).pdf