CityNotes for Tuesday, February 16, 2016

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us>
Subject: CityNotes for Tuesday, February 16, 2016
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:58:24 +0000

1. 25th Italian Film Festival 2016

2. Teaching and Learning in Chile: Why are Chilean students striking?

1. 25th Italian Film Festival 2016

For the 25th year in a row, the CCSF Italian and Audio Visual Departments are offering an Italian Film Festival. The following Italian films will be shown over the next few months in the Rosenberg Library room 305 at 1:00pm:

Tuesday, February 23 - Il Capitale Umano (Human Capital)
Tuesday, March 22 - Saturno Contro (Saturn in Opposition)
Tuesday, April 26 - La Sconosciuta (The Unknown Woman)
Tuesday, May 10 - Giulia Non Esce La Sera (Julia Doesn't Date at Night)

Please see the attached flyer for more details.

2. Teaching and Learning in Chile: Why are Chilean students striking?

>From Deborah Levy, ESL professor:

I spent my leave of absence - from February 2013 to July 2015 - in Chile as a student of sociology and pedagogy. For three semesters I taught future English teachers at two universities and worked on curriculum development related to methodology, integrated skills, reading skills, and tutorial support for a brand new English Pedagogy program.

I look forward to sharing my experiences twice this semester:

Thursday, February 18, 3:30pm -5:00pm, Ocean Campus, R305
Saturday, March 19 at the 9th Annual ESL Colloquium, Ocean Campus, MUB (more specific details to follow)

The Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet (in power 1973-1989) did everything he could to repress public education and free thinking, and the Chilean education system is still recovering from this. The fact that Chile has been a test tube for economically conservative, neo-liberal policies has made this harder. This has led to the extended student strikes you may have heard about.

I’ll share my experiences, and what I learned, and I think you’ll leave thinking about the connections between the Chilean situation and what we see happening here in the U.S. and at CCSF.

I will discuss some of the curriculum material we worked with in Santiago, which relate to the Pedogogía en Inglés programs, but much of what I confronted was largely representative of college education in Chile, so colleagues from other disciplines may find this interesting as well.

A CRN for Independent Flex Credit will be available.

ITAL FILM FEST SPRING 2016 pdf.pdf