CityNotes for Friday, February 12, 2016

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us>
Subject: CityNotes for Friday, February 12, 2016
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 22:46:44 +0000

1. Asian Coalition Scholarship Applications

2. Teaching and Learning in Chile: Why are Chilean students striking?

1. Asian Coalition Scholarship Applications

From Andrew Hom, Asian Coalition Scholarship Co-Chair:

Please help us publicize the 2016 Asian Coalition Scholarship! The Scholarships target CCSF students of Asian and Pacific Islander heritage, and credit, non-credit and international students are eligible to apply by filling out the attached application (available in both English and Chinese). The deadline to apply is March 4.

There will be a scholarship dinner scheduled on May 6 to honor the scholarship recipients.

We greatly appreciate your support in our goal to reach out to as many students as possible.

2. Teaching and Learning in Chile: Why are Chilean students striking?

>From Deborah Levy, ESL professor:

I spent my leave of absence - from February 2013 to July 2015 - in Chile as a student of sociology and pedagogy. For three semesters I taught future English teachers at two universities and worked on curriculum development related to methodology, integrated skills, reading skills, and tutorial support for a brand new English Pedagogy program.

I look forward to sharing my experiences twice this semester:

Thursday February 18, 3:30pm -5:00pm, Ocean Campus, R305
Saturday March 19 at the 9th Annual ESL Colloquium, Ocean Campus, MUB (more specific details to follow)

The Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet (in power 1973-1989) did everything he could to repress public education and free thinking, and the Chilean education system is still recovering from this. The fact that Chile has been a test tube for economically conservative, neo-liberal policies has made this harder. This has led to the extended student strikes you may have heard about.

I’ll share my experiences, and what I learned, and I think you’ll leave thinking about the connections between the Chilean situation and what we see happening here in the U.S. and at CCSF.

I will discuss some of the curriculum material we worked with in Santiago, which relate to the Pedogogía en Inglés programs, but much of what I confronted was largely representative of college education in Chile, so colleagues from other disciplines may find this interesting as well.

A CRN for Independent Flex Credit will be available.

2016 AC Scholarship Application 2.doc

2016 AC Scholarship Application Chinese 2.doc