CityNotes for Tuesday, February 9, 2016

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us>
Subject: CityNotes for Tuesday, February 9, 2016
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 01:06:07 +0000

1. FACULTY: Nominate Student Commencement Speakers By February 16!
2.
African American Scholastic Programs Fundraiser
3. Teaching and Learning in Chile: Why are Chilean students striking?

1. FACULTY: Nominate Student Commencement Speakers By February 16!

As you know, our 81st Commencement Ceremony is fast approaching. Both the student Commencement Circular and the District Employee Circular can be found online at www.ccsf.edu/commencement.

If you know of any students in your classes wishing to be the 2016 student speaker at this year's commencement please advise them to apply by February 16 by filling out this form. Students can also find the application in the 2016 Commencement Circular.

Commencement will be held on Friday, May 27, 2016
Deadline to apply for Student Speaker: February 16, 2016
Deadline to register for the ceremony: March 25, 2016

2.
African American Scholastic Programs Fundraiser

Support the CCSF African American Scholastic Programs office as they sell Sees Candy to raise money for their scholarship program and their Historically Black College and University event later this year. To make a purchase, please fill out the attached order form. If you have any questions, please contact the program office at 415-452-5315.

3. Teaching and Learning in Chile: Why are Chilean students striking?

>From Deborah Levy, ESL professor:

I spent my leave of absence - from February 2013 to July 2015 - in Chile as a student of sociology and pedagogy. For three semesters I taught future English teachers at two universities and worked on curriculum development related to methodology, integrated skills, reading skills, and tutorial support for a brand new English Pedagogy program.

I look forward to sharing my experiences twice this semester:

Thursday February 18, 3:30pm -5:00pm, Ocean Campus, R305
Saturday March 19 at the 9th Annual ESL Colloquium, Ocean Campus, MUB (more specific details to follow)

The Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet (in power 1973-1989) did everything he could to repress public education and free thinking, and the Chilean education system is still recovering from this. The fact that Chile has been a test tube for economically conservative, neo-liberal policies has made recovery even harder. Both of these factors have led to the extended student strikes you may have heard about.

I’ll share my experiences and what I learned throughout my sabbatical, which I think will leave you thinking about the connections between the Chilean situation and what we see happening here in the U.S. and at CCSF.

I will discuss some of the curriculum material we worked with in Santiago, which relate to the Pedogogía en Inglés programs. However, much of what I confronted was largely representative of college education in Chile, so colleagues from other disciplines may find this interesting as well.

A CRN for Independent Flex Credit will be available.

Sees Candies Fundraiser SP16.pdf

Commencement PR Student Speaker.jpg