CityNotes for Friday, October 16th, 2015

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us>
Subject: CityNotes for Friday, October 16th, 2015
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 22:05:52 +0000

1. The Great California Shake Out

2. Semester at Sea Professor Selected

3. New Biology of Cancer Course Offering

4. Agathokakological

5. Tapestry Exhibit

6. Demystifying the Middle East Presentation

7. Chef's Table Closed

1. The Great California Shake Out

October is recognized as earthquake preparedness month. October 15th was designated as "The Great California Shake Out". Throughout the state individuals, schools, hospitals and companies are asked to be aware get get up to date on what to do if an earthquake should occur.

For helpful information on earthquake safety, please see the attachment and be safe!

2. Semester at Sea Professor Selected

Erika Gentry has been selected as a faculty member to teach with the University of Virginia in their Spring 2016 Semester at Sea Voyage "Around the World". The voyage begins January 5, 2016 in San Diego, CA and ends April 16, 2016 in England. Together with 600 students and 35 faculty, the floating University (a 1998 cruise ship outfitted to contain 10+ classrooms) will voyage for 101 days stopping in 11 countries and 15 cities starting in San Diego, CA and continuing to England.

READ MORE: https://erikagentry.wordpress.com/2015/10/09/gentry-to-sail-with-university-of-virginias-semester-at-sea-program-spring-16/

3. New Biology of Cancer Course Offering

A new Biology of Cancer course, BIOL 61, is being offered by our Biology Department. Designed for anyone interested in the subject, the course will tackle several critical questions about one of the leading causes of death world-wide. Please see the attachment for more details.

4. Agathokakological

Photography Adrienne Johnson
On Display in Gallery Obscura, October 13th - November 7th
Artist Reception Thursday, October 22nd, 6-8pm

"Beginning in 2013, I started making pictures of the awe inspiring sunsets that suddenly popped up in the latter part of that year.  These were the most colourful and spectacular sunsets I had experienced in San Francisco in recent memory...Light bent in every direction to shine in every shade the human eye could see.  Everything glowed...Of course, there was a dark side to the light.  Almost all of the sunsets shot for this collection were the result of intense pollution caused by the Rim and Big Sur Fires... Beauty and death and awe and finality.  Glory and disgrace.  Good and Evil.  Do we revel in the beauty, or do we mourn the loss that gave it to us?  Can we open ourselves to both realities and all that opening means- an agathokakological experience?" -Adrienne Johnson

5. Tapestry Exhibit

Tapestry-Woven Art is a new exhibition featuring small hand woven tapestries by students of CCSF in the tapestry class at John Adams Center. Eleven works are included and range from beginning samplers to pieces inspired by nature and the imagination. Tapestry weaving is an ancient art found in many cultures and the technique continues to thrive in the hands of contemporary practitioners. The exhibit will run through January, 2016 and is located in the 2nd floor cases across from the library at the Chinatown/ North Beach Center.

Chinatown/North Beach Center Library
City College of San Francisco
2nd floor lobby
808 Kearny Street (at Washington)
San Francisco, CA 94108

Building hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00-9:00
Friday 8:00-7:00
Saturday 7:30-2:00
Sunday 8:00-2:00

For more information about the class contact instructor Deborah Corsini: dcorsini@ccsf.edu

6. Demystifying the Middle East Presentation

JOIN IDST30, Demystifying the Middle East and the IDST Program in Critical Middle East Studies for a presentation by Sahar Abbasi Baidon.

WHEN: Tues. Oct. 27, 11am-12:30pm WHERE: Rosenberg Library, Room 304

Please RSVP to Kinneret Israel and Lauren Muller if you plan to attend.

7. Chef's Table Closed

The Chef's Table at the Pierre Coste Room will be closed Mon, Oct 19 and Tues, Oct. 20. We will re-open on Wednesday, Oct 21 with a new menu and a new group of students eager to serve you. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The Great California Shake Out faculty.docx

The Biology of Cancer_flyer.docx

MES EVENT 10-27.pdf

Tapestry exhibit pr.docx