CityNotes for Tuesday, September 15th 2015

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us>
Subject: CityNotes for Tuesday, September 15th 2015
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 22:26:28 +0000

1. "This is Not a Square"

2. Web & Mobile Career Speakers Panel

3.  Opportunities to Attend Equity-Related Professional Development

4. 7th Annual Talanoa Series

5. CCSF Business Cards - Fall 2015

6. The 2015 Ocean Campus Fall Buffet

1. "This is Not a Square"

Photography by Chase Newton
On display at Gallery Obscura
September 21st - October 10th, 2015
Artist Reception September 21st, 6-8pm
https://ccsfphoto.wordpress.com/2015/09/12/solo-exhibition-chase-newton-this-is-not-a-square/

2. Web & Mobile Career Speakers Panel

The Web & Mobile Collaborative will be hosting our first "Web & Mobile Career Speakers Panel" next Friday, 9/18 from 12 - 1:30 pm in MUB 140 (flyer attached). This event is an opportunity for students to learn about what it takes to be successful in Bay Area web and mobile careers. We've invited three professionals in the tech industry to highlight how they got to their current position, what's happening in web and mobile, and share nuggets of wisdom with attendees.  This collaborative is a result of three departments-Computer Science, Computer Networking & Information Technology, and Visual Media Design-working together to promote certificates and degrees related to web and mobile design, development and technology. For more info, please go to www.ccsf.edu/webmobile

Light refreshments will be served. Please help us get the word out and feel free to forward the flyer. Submitted by Geisce Ly.

3.  Opportunities to Attend Equity-Related Professional Development

As you know, we are hard at work envisioning and implementing new and expanded programs to close achievement gaps for our students. The Student Equity Plan of January 1, 2015 identifies Professional Development as a Core Activity to help us reach our goals.

We hope that you will consider attending one of these conferences and bringing a short one-page report back to your team/department (and sharing that with the equity coordination team) highlighting what you learned and how it will impact your work towards closing achievement gaps on campus. We also plan to provide opportunities for you to share what your learn at Equity PD events and/or institutes on campus.

Please fill out this Google form if you would like to request funding to participate in one of these opportunities (or another that you feel fits the qualifications above). Travel, lodging, a per diem for food and registration can possibly be covered. Requests will be assessed based on whether they are aligned with equity goals and will circle back to improve our work on this campus.

http://tinyurl.com/CCSFEquityPDRequest15-16

Please let us know about other opportunities to attend equity-related professional development, especially in California. Submitted by Tracy Burt.

4. 7th Annual Talanoa Series

6:00-9:00pm, Food & Refreshments Served. Tuesday September 29, 2015 | MUB 140

In association with The Talanoa Series of Las Vegas, NV, Salt Lake City, UT, San Mateo, CA, and the CCSF Critical Pacific Islands Studies Program, we are delighted to present our 7th Annual Talanoa Series (formerly PI Speaker Series) @ CCSF for Fall 2015!

In honor of sustaining our oceanic connections, we are pleased to announce our 1st speaker of our 7th Annual Talanoa Series Fall 2015-Indigenous Tahitian Poet and Literary Scholar-Flora-Aurima Devatine.

A member of the Tahitian Academy (1972), Flora Aurima-Devatine is from a family of Polynesian orators. She is the author of traditional poems in Tahitian and of free-verse poems in French. She was the first woman poet to publish a collection of poetry in Tahiti in 1980, published "Procrastination of Reveries of Oral Scripture" in 1998, and defended a dissertation on Tahitian anthroponymy in 2001. As the State Representative responsible for women's issues from 1979-1984, she set up the Council of Women in French Polynesia. Since her retirement from teaching in 1997, Professor Flora Aurima-Devatine has continued to pursue her life-long passion for poetry, literature, and culture. In 2002, she co-founded Littérama'ohi, a Polynesian literary journal, with six other authors. She was also the first director of the journal from 2002-2010. Her poetry and essays have been published in journals and anthologies in France, Canada, and Hawai'i. She has been invited to talk about her work, Polynesian literature and oration, as well as Littérama'ohi, in many universities, including King's College London, Royal Holloway, University of London, The University of Cambridge, The University of Paris Est-Créteil, the University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, Jean Moulin University Lyon 3, Free University of Brussels, the Eötvös Lorand University of Budapest, the University of Hawai'i at Manoa, the University of French Polynesia, the College of San Mateo, and finally here, the City College of San Francisco. A video interview with her preceded by a performance was selected for the 2015 "First Peoples Festival, Montreal" and broadcast by Isuma TV. Her poetico-philosophical work reflects her attachment to her culture and spans a constellation of topics: culture, memory, history, women, orality, transmission, literature, writing (and in which language to write), poetry, name/ing, time, and space, which for her is a journey dedicated to advancing the recognition of "Polynesian consciousness."

For more information, contact: David G. Palaita, Ph.D. (vika) @ (415) 452-5923 | (206) 250-7468 | dpalaita@ccsf.edu

5. CCSF Business Cards - Fall 2015

The Visual Media Design Department is now accepting orders from City College employees for business cards. There is a $20.00 charge for 200 cards, to cover the cost of materials consumed.
Orders are due by Friday, October 2 and will be returned to you via campus mail during the week of Monday, November 2.

Please use the application form (see attached PDF or link) and send it with payment to Box V49.

Please note that these business cards are produced entirely by the students in VMD 200, Emerge Studio.
This project is repeated at the beginning of each semester, and is meant to be a learning experience for our students.

If you have any further questions, contact Colin Hall at x3082 or chall@ccsf.edu

6. The 2015 Ocean Campus Fall Buffet

WHEN:  October 7, 2015 (Wed.)

Doors open at 11:15

WHERE: The Chef's Table at the Pierre Coste Room

(Ocean Campus-Statler Wing, http://www.ccsf.edu/Info/Map/)

COST: $19.31 ($21.00 with tax )

Our buffet events sell out each year; seats fill up VERY QUICKLY.
For reservations, please contact Chris Johnson: (415) 239.3438 or via email at:
cjohnson@ccsf.edu

(Please put "Ocean Campus Buffet Reservation" in the subject line.)

When leaving your reservation request, please provide ALL of the following information:

1) your first & last name

2) a daytime phone #

3) the number of people in your party (small parties may be seated at our "family table")

4) your preferred time slot (seatings at 11:15;  11:30; 11:45, and at 12:00)

This event is a wonderful stage for our students to display all that they've learned throughout the semester. Take this opportunity to support our students, support the college, and share in some wonderful food.

The "Chef's Table at the PCR" now open!

The Fall Buffet at "The Chef's Table": 10/7/15

Reserve your space now!

Thank you for continuing to support our talented culinary arts students.

Web Mobile Career Speakers Panel 9-18-15 flyer (2).pdf