District letter to the entire College Community regarding the status of our negotiations with AFT

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us>
Subject: District letter to the entire College Community regarding the status of our negotiations with AFT
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 00:33:43 +0000

logo1
EMPLOYEE RELATIONS OFFICE​​

​​​33 GOUGH STREET ∙ SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94103 ∙ (415) 241-2255 ∙ ​​​​FAX (415) 241-2336

April 29, 2015

District Update on Negotiations with AFT

The Administration would like to provide you with an update on negotiations between the District and AFT. Official negotiations started on Wednesday, April 22, 2015. “Official negotiations” is the first point in time when either party makes proposals regarding bargaining matters. AFT made their first proposals at this meeting related to professional development and sabbatical pay.

Prior to these “official negotiations,” both the District and AFT agreed to have pre-negotiation, open sessions to hear information from faculty on various matters of concern. These very productive meetings covered the following topics:

  1. Enrollment
  2. Compensation
  3. Budget
  4. Load

The District remains committed to additional open information sessions during the negotiations process as mutually agreed by the parties, with the extension of invitations to the entire College community to attend. Today, the District proposed to AFT that at our next scheduled meeting (Wednesday, May 6, 2015), Vice Chancellor Ron Gerhard would make a one-hour presentation open to all members of the College community regarding the District’s budget.

AFT has repeatedly suggested that all negotiations be open to any individual that is not a part of either the District’s or AFT’s bargaining teams. Since this is an ongoing point of dispute with AFT, we want the College community to know our view. Bargaining calls for candid and often intricate discussions with the sort of “give and take” that are best achieved behind closed doors. “Open” negotiations would impede dynamics between the parties, hamper effective communication, and would, we believe, prolong bargaining. This is why AFT and the District have never had “open” negotiations and why closed negotiations are the rule among unionized employers nationally. It’s also why any party’s insistence on “open” negotiations is not even permissible under labor law principles.

Despite the assertion by AFT that the District is “unprepared” to negotiate, the District is fully prepared and fully engaged in the negotiation process. We do not find rhetoric such as this productive to reaching mutual agreement on some of the difficult issues that we face in these negotiations, but we are committed to working with faculty through their collective bargaining representative.

Each week, the parties are to inform each other about their intended “agenda” for upcoming negotiations. On Wednesday, April 29, the District presented proposals on communicating through district email and on non-discrimination and discussed issues of evaluation and temporary upgrades. We expect to cover the many remaining issues in negotiations in the coming weeks in accordance with protocol the parties have established.

We look forward to productive bargaining with AFT.

Sincerely,

The District’s Negotiating Team:

Mickey Branca, SFCCD Dean of Employee Relations

Steve Bruckman, SFCCD Vice Chancellor, General Counsel

Ray Gamba, SFCCD Dean, School of Behavioral Sciences, Social Sciences and

​Multicultural Studies

Doug Bish, SFCCD Dean, School Fine, Applied, and Communication Arts

Geisce Ly, SFCCD Dean, Downtown Center

Becky Perelli, Director of Student Health

Jeff Sloan, Labor Counsel, Renne Sloan Holtzman Sakai