CORRECTED: CityNotes for Friday February 20th 2015

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us>
Subject: CORRECTED: CityNotes for Friday February 20th 2015
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 23:28:46 +0000

NOTE: The version of CityNotes sent earlier today is corrected below. Please disregard the previous edition.

1. Faculty Voluntary Sick Leave Bank
2. Pierre Coste Dining Room
3. The Tree of Life
4. Educational Leadership Program
5. Unity Day
6. CalWORKs
7. Congratulations to Business Department Real Estate Program!
8. Lunar New Year
9. From Mississippi to Ferguson Show
10. Pauline Hee Moves On

1. Faculty Voluntary Sick Leave Bank

Faculty Voluntary Sick Leave Bank - Open Call for Contributions

Contributions are being accepted to join the Faculty Voluntary Sick Leave Bank (VSLB), a pool established and maintained by the voluntary contribution of accrued sick leave days/hours by faculty.  The VSLB provides members with specific additional sick leave benefits in the event of a catastrophic or life-threatening injury or illness in accord with the AFT/SFCCD CBA Article 17.E - Voluntary Sick Leave Bank.

Submission of the contribution form will be accepted from February 20 through April 10, 2015.  If you have any questions, contact AFT at 585-2121 or Lety Sazo of the Human Resources Department at 487-2443.  The Contribution Form and information notice are attached.

2. Pierre Coste Dining Room:

The Pierre Coste Dining Room (PCR) is up and running. We are open Mondays-Thursdays from 11:15-12:30. Submitted by Barbara Haimes.

3. The Tree of Life:

The faculty and students in Interdisciplinary Studies 29: Introduction to Islam have created a Tree of Life art project in Batmale 203 in commemoration of life in the face of senseless acts of violence, and in honor of anyone who has lost a loved one through violence. As many of you know,  Ameena Jandali, who co-teaches IDST 29,  lost three members of her family in the shootings in Chapel Hill:  Deah Barakat, his wife Yusor Abu-Salha and her sister Razan Abu-Salha. In early January, CCSF lost one of our Critical Pacific Island Studies students, Daneil Fillmore, to gun violence. We invite you to stop by Batmale 203 and add "a leaf to the tree of life." Please consider bringing or sending your classes, as well.  Please see the attachment for details. Submitted by Lauren Stuart Muller.

4. Educational Leadership Program:

The Learning Community and Career Pathways Committee in collaboration with the Divisions of Student Development and Academic Affairs is planning three professional development opportunities for CCSF programs and pathways at 8:30am-3:00 in MUB 140.

The first event, SFUSD Counselors Summit on March 13, will provide CCSF programs the opportunity to provide SFUSD counselors information, resources, and registration information to pass along to all SFUSD counselors.

The second event, the Strategic Summit on Career and Transfer Pathways on March 20, is an opportunity for all of CCSF's first year programs, retention programs, bridge programs, and pathways to come together to strategize how to better coordinate the recruitment, support, and resources for all programs at CCSF.

The third event, will build off the momentum gained in the Strategic Summit focusing on program and curriculum development for first year, bridge and pathway programs.

Participating in these events will help the college to create clearer pathways and outreach materials for new and existing students. These outreach materials will be used for Frisco Day and other large recruitment efforts. All of these events will provide the participating programs with publicity, exposure, and connection to new funding opportunities. To register for the first two events please use the google form linked here. Registration information for the third event will be provided mid-March. If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Simotas at msimotas@ccsf.edu 415.239.3380.

Google form link for registration:

5. Unity Day: Unity Day is February 25, 2015 from 10am-2pm in the Amphitheater. Unity Day is sponsored by the Associated Students, and is a great opportunity for students to learn about all of the different clubs and resource centers on campus.  Unity Day is a fun way to get involved, and there will be free food, music, and performances. Hope to see you there! Submitted by Amy Coffey.

6. CalWORKs: Is your department in need of assistance? Do you not have the funding to hire additional support? The CalWORKs Education and Training Program is pleased to announce that we have students readily available for hire through our Work Study Program. The program pays 100% of our students salary and provides job readiness training to enhance work performance skills. These students are eligible to work up to 15-20 hours per week and do not need Financial Aid to participate. Again, this program is 100% funded by the CalWORKs Program and does not require Financial Aid or Lab Aide money. If you would like to hire one of our students or would simply like more information, please contact CalWORKs Work Study Advisor Alexis Finn at (415) 452-5701 or afinn@ccsf.edu. You may also visit our webpage at http://www.ccsf.edu/en/student-services/student-counseling/calworks/Careerprep.html. We look forward to hearing from you! Submitted by Alexis Finn.

7. Congratulations to Business Department Real Estate Program!The Career & Technical Education Allocation Subcommittee has awarded the Business Department Real Estate Program $10,000.00 in 2014-2015 CTEA funds for the proposal to purchase three-year access to Winforms. Please see the attached form for details. Submitted by Carol Jensen.

8. Lunar New Year: Chinese Lunar New Year celebration are here soon! Check out the celebrations:

Tuesday February 24th, 10:30-11:30am CH/NB Center-Room 402 (English/Cantonese)

Thursday, February 26th 10:15-11:30am DTN Center-Room 821 (English/Mandarin)

More details in the attached form. Submitted by Suzanne Lo.

9. From Mississippi to Ferguson Show:

From Mississippi Freedom Summer 1964 To 'Hands Up Don't Shoot' Ferguson 2014: Battling 'The Old Jim Crow' and 'The New Jim Crow'

Exhibit of documentary photos with text: January 22 - February 27th in Conlan Hall - Ocean Campus

Please see the attachment for more details!

10. Pauline Hee Moves On:

After close to 25 years with City College, it's time for me to move on.  I've been given the opportunity to transfer to MTA beginning 3/2/2015.  It's been an honor to work with you and I wish you the best.

Distribution of grants will be forth coming.  Should you have any questions, please contact Gail Burgunde, our new controller.

As always, I thank you for your continued support and patience!

Pauline Hee

___

Submitting to CityNotes: CityNotes is for everyone! Send a brief paragraph in the body of an email, along with any attachments, at least 5 days before your event to jhamilton@ccsf.edu and adewolk@kamergroup.com. Thanks!

Faculty VSLB -SP15 Open Call - City Notes & District WideEmail.pdf

FromMississippiToFergusen-Flier3-2 (1).pdf

Lunar New Year 2015.JPG

tree of life - reflection project 2015.doc

award mini grant Bus Real Estate.pdf