CityNotes for Thursday, May 22, 2014

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us>
Subject: CityNotes for Thursday, May 22, 2014
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 17:48:05 +0000
authentication-results: spf=none (sender IP is )smtp.mailfrom=Citynotes@ccsf.edu;

1. Student Selfie Tweets

2. Summer Film Appreciation Class

3. Today's events

    A. Voice Recital

    B. Voice Recital

    C. Ourstories Year End Celebration

    D. Night of Storytelling

1. Student Selfie Tweets: if you talk to any students today or tomorrow who will be attending the graduation ceremony, encourage them to finish the sentence "I'm proud to be a #CCSFAlum because..." and tweet it with a selfie taken at the ceremony. This will build a cadre of fun and empowering statements and photos of our accomplished students.

2. Summer Film Appreciation Class: The Office of Continuing Education is sponsoring a Film Appreciation class this summer that will be taught by The San Francisco Chronicle film critic, Mick LaSalle. He writes, "Bad movies tend to be alike, but great movies are great in their own way.  Each one is a new discovery, a new combination of elements, original and heartfelt, usually a work of vision and passion.  Yet they do have recurring characteristics:  They tend to say something true about their time.  They usually enunciate or embody a timeless truth about the human experience.  They often contain a great performance.  They usually have one or two unforgettable, emblematic moments.  And they usually have a point of view, a personal signature that pulls all the elements into sharp relief.

I have spent years studying great movies and trying to recognize them in the cradle, before anyone takes them seriously. Through clips that illustrate each of the above criteria, and through watching full-length films that contain the elements of greatness, the class will learn to separate the classic from the ephemeral and to spot, from among the hundreds of films released every year, which films will stand the test of time."

The class will be at the Downtown Campus on Wednesdays, June 18 – July 23 from 6:30 – 9:30pm. The cost is $165, but City College employees receive a 25% discount. To register, go to www.ccsf.edu/contined. Make sure that you let us know that you are a CCSF employee.

3. Today's events

    A. Advanced Electronic Music Recital: 1:00 - 3:00 PM in room A-135. Students of Brian Fergus

    B.Voice Recital: 1:00 to 5:00 PM at the Mission Center, Room 106. Students of Judy Hubbell

    C. Voice Recital: 6:00 - 10:00 PM in room A-133. Students of Judy Hubbell

    D. Ourstories Year End Celebration: 1:00 - 4:00 PM, in room MUB 170

    D. Night of Storytelling: Nuestras Vida/Nuestros Testimonies: Our Lives/Our Stories. Celebrating Domestic Workers' and Immigrant Worker's Rights. 8:00 - 9:30 PM at the Mission Center, room 109