LGBT Rights and the Russian Winter Olympics @ the Commonwealth Club

To: "ccsf@cloud.ccsf.edu" <ccsf@cloud.ccsf.cc.ca.us>
Subject: LGBT Rights and the Russian Winter Olympics @ the Commonwealth Club
From: CityNotes <Citynotes@ccsf.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 16:33:57 +0000

What do CCSF Foreign Language instructors do after work?  Join our own Krista Hanson, Russian instructor (whom we share with SFSU) at the Commonwealth Club of California, Tuesday, Feb. 4 at 6 p.m.  The topic is:

"From Russia Without Love: The 2014 Winter Olympics and Human Rights in Russia"

Tue, Feb 4 2014 - 6:00pm

·         Helen Carroll, Sports Project Director, National Center for Lesbian Rights

·         Krista Hanson, Ph.D., Professor of Russian Culture, San Francisco State University

·         Julie Dorf, Senior Advisor, Council for Global Equality

·         Stuart Plunkett, J.D., Partner, Morrison Foerster - Moderator

Russia, the host country of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games, has been drawing criticism from around the world and across diverse communities for enacting a law that bans the distribution of "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations." Since the passage of the anti-gay propaganda law, many have expressed concerns both over the safety of LGBT individuals traveling to the Winter Olympic Games and the International Olympic Committee’s cool response to the issue. Tonight we bring together a panel of leaders and advocates to discuss the implications of this very important issue.

http://www.commonwealthclub.org/node/81978