Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) / Associate in Science for Transfer
The new Transfer Degrees, known as the Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees guarantee admission to a California State University (CSU) campus for any community college student who completes an “associate degree for transfer”, a newly established variation of the associate degrees traditionally offered at California Community Colleges throughout the state. The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) or the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing these degrees (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major.
What are the benefits to earning an AA-T or AS-T degree?
- Guaranteed admissions with junior standing to the CSU system (admissions not guaranteed to a particular campus or major)
- Priority admissions consideration for students local CSU campus or to a program that is deemed similar to a student’s community college major (This priority does not guarantee admissions to a specific major or campus)
- Students transferring to a CSU campus that does accept the AA-T or AS-T will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major).
Who may not benefit from earning this degree?
This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with their counselor to help them plan for the degree and transfer.
What are the requirements to earn an AA-T or AS-T Degree?
- Complete the CSU General Education Requirements or IGETC
- Complete the required major requirements for the AA-T or AS-T major. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better or a “P” if the course is taken on a “pass-no pass” basis (title 5 § 55063)
- Complete 60 CSU transferable units (including the General Education and major requirements)
What AA-T and AS-T degrees does City College offer?
To date, these are available at CCSF. Please click on the major name for more information.
- Communication Studies
- Computer Science
- Early Childhood Education
- Political Science
- Studio Art
Will more degrees be available in the future?
Yes, please check back often for a list of updated degrees.
SB1440.org - Use this website to determine if your major is deemed "similar" for the major and CSU that you are applying to.
ADegreeWithAGuarantee.org - Provides general resources and information on the transfer degrees.
Caution: The final responsibility for a successful transfer program rests with the student. This information changes frequently and can impact your admission to the university. It is highly advised that you meet periodically with counselors at City College AND advisors at the university to confirm your choice of classes and educational plan.