Paths to Success

CalWORKs and PAES students come to City College of San Francisco to achieve a Certificate, Degree, or to transfer to a four-year university. Following are descriptions of each path to success.


Certificate programs are offered by the college for students who desire entry level employment or who have previous experience and want to enhance their work-related skills. Certificate programs usually take less than 2 years for completion.

The college offers credit and non-credit certificate curricula in over 100 areas. Students typically complete 12-30 semester units as required by the department offering the certificate.

Many students have chosen to get their degree after completing their certificate. All credits from a certificate may be applied to a degree.


An Associate in Arts (AA) and an Associate in Science (AS) are offered by City College of San Francisco. Degree programs prepare students for careers at the semi-professional level. The time it takes to obtain a degree varies depending on if you are studying full-time or part-time, or need to develop your English or Math skills.

The College offers degree curricula in approximately 46 areas. Students must complete 60 or more semester units as required by the department offering the degree and maintain at least a 2.0 GPA.

For information on the programs that City College of San Francisco offers for degrees and certificates, contact a CalWORKs counselor. Our counselors will have the most updated information on courses of study.

The Course Catalog or the Career & Technical Education Program Guide are also available for a look at courses of study for degrees, credit, and non-credit certificates.


Students who complete at least 60 units at City College of San Francisco and meet the requirements for transfer may be accepted by four-year universities including the University of California or California State Universities.

The Transfer Center in Science 132 provides information, workshops, online resources, applications and counseling to students who wish to transfer to a four-year institution. Please make an appointment with your CalWORKs counselor to discuss your progress towards transferring.

Be aware that transfer requirements vary by major and university campus.