Opportunities for creative expression, a desire to work with a beautiful product, enjoyment of hands-on creativity, and a determination to make the most important moments in life truly special, are just a few of the reasons students choose to study floristry at City College of San Francisco.
Since the 1930's, students from the Floristry Division have launched satisfying careers in the "flower industry," giving the Environmental Horticulture and Floristry Department an impressive nationwide reputation.
In addition, the Department has a very active Student Chapter of the American I nstitute of Floral Designers, receiving numerous national awards for design excellence.
The Floristry Program offers a complete curriculum that maintains strong links with flower shop owners, growers, wholesalers and manufacturers, (many of whom are CCSF graduates).
The Floristry Curriculum is designed to give students a thorough well-balanced training in the buying and selling of floral products, the art of creating floral arrangements and the operating of various types of floral enterprises.
Students who complete the curriculum satisfactorily are qualified for employment as designers, salespersons and buyers in a variety of retail floral businesses. Students may earn an Associate of Science Degree (A.S.) and an Award of Achievement in Retail Floristry or design their own course work, tailored to their individual needs.
Successful graduates work in public as well as private institutions, which may include running their own floral shop, wholesaling to the retailer, or working as an independent freelance floral designer for hotels and special events. CCSF floristry graduates and alumni are in demand by such companies such as FTD, Teleflora, and 1-800-Flowers.
- Internationally recognized and honored floral design instructors
- Excellent industry connections
- Superb floral design facilities and equipment
- Individualized assistance in planning a course of study
- Degree, Major and certificate for varied interests & levels of commitment
- A variety of Department & Community-funded scholarships for motivated students.
- A diverse student body and positive learning environment
- Work experience courses with strong links to employers in the community
Quote, Unquote ...
"Students from City College of San Francisco receive an excellent floral education, one that stresses practical application as well as creativity. The instructors are extremely knowledgeable and very active in all aspects of the floral community - they bring their skills and industry connections directly to their students"
- Derrick Vasques, AIFD, National President of the American Institute of Floral Designers