Math & Science Teachers Needed in California
A critical shortage of math & science teachers in California (and the Bay Area) makes math & science teacher recruitment and support a priority at CCSF. The Teacher Prep Center at City College of San Francisco has two distinct initiatives in place designed to help recruit, train and transfer future math & science teachers.
- Pathway advising and support
- Specific courses
- Fieldwork opportunities
- Paid internships in SFUSD classrooms
- Para-to-teacher support for future math & science teachers employed in the SFUSD as para-professionals
- Information on SFSU upper division courses available to CCSF students at reduced prices
- Opportunities to work with children and youth at Mission Science Workshop and in SFUSD classrooms
- Transfer assistance and opportunities to mentor CCSF students in math.
Paid opportunities and early field experience within the context of credit coursework allow for future teachers to benefit while enrolled at CCSF. Financial aid opportunities specifically for future math & science teachers allow for continued educational opportunities for students.
The Teacher Prep Center at City College of San Francisco was developed with funds from the California Community College Chancellor's Office and is partnered with related student support services within the Child Development & Family Studies Department.
The Math & Science Teacher Recruitment Project (SAMS) is funded by the California Postsecondary Education Commission and the Wells Fargo Foundation, Wells Fargo Math & Science Scholars Project.