Entitlement Programs

Chapter 30, Montgomery G.I. Bill: The Montgomery GI Bill establishes a program of educational benefits for eligible persons. Please go to the VA web site for further details on specific eligibility criteria. This chapter can provide educational assistance for eligible veterans who have served on active duty for two or more years and have been honorably discharged from the service. All students who feel they might be eligible should submit an application on-line at www.gibill.va.gov. The Department of Veteran Affairs will review your application and will notify you via US mail.


Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation: This provides assistance for veterans with various degrees of service connected disabilities. Apply at:

Veterans Regional Office
1301 Clay Street, Room 1300 North
Oakland, CA 94612


Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill: This GI Bill Is for Veterans who served on active duty for a defined period of time after 09/10/01. Chapter 33 offers Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH, a book stipend per term/semester (not to exceed $1,000 per academic year) and pays for tuition and required college fees. Apply on-line at www.gibill.va.gov. (Chapter 33 on-line applications only)
The VA web-site also provides continuous updates about the new GI bill program.


Chapter 35, Dependants Educational Assistance (DEA): Educational assistance paid to dependants (spouse/children) of veterans who are permanently and 100% disabled due to a service connected condition or who died in the service of a service-connected disability. Apply on-line at www.gibill.va.gov


Chapter 1606, Montgomery G.I. Bill for Selected Reserve: This program provides educational assistance for active members of the selected reserves, including members of the Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard, Army National Guard, and Air National Guard. Basic eligibility requires a six-year obligation to serve in the selected reserves, and satisfactory participation in required selective reserve training. Participants must be signed up for a six year commitment.  Apply on-line at www.gibill.va.gov


Chapter 1607, Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP): REAP was established as part of the National Defense Authorization Act. It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.


Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP): The VRAP offers 12 months of training assistance to Veterans who:


  • Are at least 35 but no more than 60 years of old
  • Are unemployed on the date of application
  • Received an other than dishonorable discharge
  • Are not eligible for any other VA education benefit program (e.g., the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Assistance)
  • Are not in receipt of VA compensation due to unemployability
  • Are not enrolled in a federal or state job training program


The program is limited to 45,000 participants from July 01, 2012, through September 30, 2012, and 54,000 participants from October 01, 2012, through March 31, 2014. Participants must attend full-time in order to receive up to 12 months of assistance equal to the monthly full-time payment rate under the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty program ($1,564 effective October 01, 2012). DOL will offer employment assistance to every Veteran who participates upon completion of the program.


Participants must be enrolled in a VA approved program of education offered by a community college or technical school. The program must lead to an Associate Degree, Non-College Degree, or a Certificate, and train the Veteran for a high demand occupation.  Applications can be completed on-line at www.gibill.va.gov


California Department of Veterans Affairs (Cal-Vet): The “Cal-Vet” department offers a College Fee Waiver Program for eligible dependants. Contact the Cal-Vet office at 415-554-7100 for more information.