Mental Health Internship Program
- Nine month program, August through May
- Orientation in August 2020 (date and time TBA)
- Weekly Tuesday Case Consultation and Group Supervision
- Weekly Individual Supervision (one hour during the week)
- Up to 14 clients per week
- Opportunity to facilitate a group(s) second semester
- Participate in outreach and prevention presentations
Qualifications and Expectations
Interns must have adequate training and experience to support clinical work in a demanding site working with a very diverse adult population. Familiarity with diagnosing and standard of care documentation is expected, as well as the curiosity and openness to further professional growth in these areas through training and support. CCSF accepts interns who have graduated with their Masters and therefore, have had at least one or two prior years of direct clinical service experience. Personal maturity, psychological mindedness, respect for individual and cultural differences, and life experience of an intern are important as well. Given our brief therapy model, a familiarity and/or interest in theoretical orientations including brief therapy is important.
The program follows an academic calendar with school holidays observed. Individual vacations should coincide with the school vacations. There is some flexibility in scheduling within times the clinic is open depending on clinic and intern needs. The following time commitments, however, are required:
Full academic year consisting of 9 months (August through May)
16-20 hours per week (20 hours preferred)
Tuesdays from 9am-12pm - required (other hours to be arranged.)
We seek to create a safe setting where interns will learn about themselves as they develop the skills to be a strong clinician. CCSF seeks competent, motivated, thoughtful, curious, and eager applicants, who are interested in and committed to fully participating in an engaging program to help create an enriching and positive learning environment. Bilingual and bicultural abilities are highly desirable. We assess for any dual relationship or conflict of interest issues.
Application and Deadline Information
We begin accepting applications in January, and encourage early submission. Applications are accepted until March 1, 2020.
An application must include:
1. A letter of intent. We would like applicants’ letter of intent to introduce themselves, to detail their interest in the CCSF’s Internship Program, their clinical experience, as well as what they hope to gain from participating in the program, outlining their interest in the site and reasons why it would be a positive match.
2. Resume or Curriculum Vitae
3. Contact information for three professional references, including at least one clinical supervisor.
Submit completed applications to:
City College of San Francisco
50 Phelan Avenue
Student Health Services, HC 100
Attn: Mental Health Internship Program
San Francisco, CA 94112
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants will be notified once their applications are received, and are informed of next steps. Applications are reviewed and interviews are scheduled during the month of March. The interviews are conducted in person at the Student Health Center at the Ocean campus of CCSF. Interviews are in a group format and consist of the applicant highlighting experience, desires and goals for participation in CCSF, and a brief case presentation.
Upon acceptance, a signed letter of intent to participate will be required within two weeks. Before the internship starts, TB clearance must be obtained, a background check must be completed, proof of liability insurance provided, and the contract with Psychological Services at CCSF must be signed. Proof of Flu Vaccine must be presented during the Fall Semester.
We appreciate your interest in CCSF and encourage inquiries. If you would like more information please contact Felicia King, LCSW at (415) 239-3110 or email@example.com.