Equity Professional Development
The process for requesting equity professional development funds to support registration cost for conferences, workshops or classes is same as the process for requesting faculty travel funds.
However, the forms get routed to a different person in the District Business Office and the rules about what you can be compensated for are different.
The activity must also be directly related to student equity. For a full description of eligible activities. Please see: Student Equity Expenditure Guidelines
Tessa Henderson-Brown, Associate Dean of Student Equity, will not approve requests that don't match this criteria.
Faculty Professional Development Funds for Conferences, Workshops and Classes
Equity Professional Development funds can be used for the registration cost of conferences, workshops and classes in California. The state will not compensate faculty for other costs or out-of-state conferences.
Although Equity funds can’t be used for travel or food, faculty could request funds from the faculty travel budget for the travel portion of the conference.
Procedures to Apply for Equity Professional Development Funds:
1. Complete the Requisition Travel Order Form with all of the required signatures and approved amount. Send this to the Office of Student Equity for Fall 2017 (mailbox: MUB 130B). The activities must be completed and all reimbursement paperwork submitted by November 30, 2017.
a. Note that there is no limit on the amount that you can request as long as it fits within the amount your department has been allocated and that it is for the registration cost for the conference, workshop or class.
2. Download and fill out the form explaining your request.
3. Activity information must be attached to the Requisition Travel Order Form when submitting your requests.
a. Please include a copy of the organization’s brochure or printed information with a brief description of the conference, meeting, workshop, seminar, or class.
b. Also include a copy of the printed registration information showing fees and dates of the activity.
4. If two or more funds are sharing costs of the activity, the FOAPAL(s) should be indicated so encumbrances can be properly made in each account.
5. Requisitions must be submitted at least one week before the start
date of the activity to the Office of Student Equity in MUB
If you can send electronic copies of your entire application, please email them to Ivy Chau (email@example.com). Otherwise, you can print them out and send them to her at MUB 130B. She will inform you if you are approved or not.
6. Once you are approved, you attend your event. Keep all your receipts from the event.
7. After the event occurs, you will receive an expense form from the DBO, which you will fill out and mail back to them with all your receipts.
8. They will review your documents for accuracy and then send a check to the address that you provided.
Off-Campus Conferences - Participation in off-campus conferences requires a written 1-page summary of what they learned and how it applies to their practice with students in the service of increasing equity.
a. Note that you can email your summary to the Associate Dean of Student Equity after the completion of your activity.
Requesting Equity Funds for Workshops and Presenters:
If you are bringing in an outside presenter for a professional development workshop or seminar, you need to get approval first from Tessa Henderson-Brown.
Please fill out this form for your request.
Once you have approval, your presenter will fill out a short-term contract agreement and W-9 Tax ID form.
Below are links for the contract and W-9 form. Once the presenter completes the form, you can forward it back to Ivy Chau (firstname.lastname@example.org) and she can start processing the services agreement.