FREE City     Frequently Asked Questions


What is Free City?

Free City is a partnership between City College and the City & County of San Francisco, funded by the voters of San Francisco to provide its residents free tuition to City College. Beginning with the Fall 2017 semester, Free City is a 2-year Fall and Spring semester pilot program.

Who is eligible?

  • Students may be eligible for Free City which covers their tuition for Fall and Spring semesters only. 
  • Students may qualify if they are both a California resident for one year & one day and a San Francisco resident.
  • Students may qualify for a non-resident exemption (AB540, AB 13, AB2000). 
  • Students may qualify if they are homeless or are a foster youth and meet the California residency requirement.

How do I apply for Free City?

  • It’s easy. Visit to register for the fall or spring semester via web4, City College’s registration system.  Before registering for classes, you will be prompted to answer a few short questions to confirm your Free City eligibility. 
  • Consider applying for financial aid and you may qualify for a Free City stipend.

What is covered?

Enrollment fee per unit



What is NOT covered?

Health fee


Web registration fee


Student Activities fee - optional


Student Representation fee – optional


Course Material fees*


*only specific courses charge additional course materials fees, as noted in the course schedule


Who receives stipends?

Students who apply for financial aid and are recipients of the Board of Governors fee waiver will be eligible for an additional Free City stipend.           

 a.      Students enrolled in 12+ credit units: $250 per semester.

 b.      Students enrolled in 6-11 credit units: $100 per semester.

If I am receiving a Free City stipend, how will I receive it?         

- You will receive the first 50% of the disbursement after the last day to drop without a W (see instructional calendar), and receive the second 50% after midterms (see instructional calendar).


What if I drop my course?

1)  What happens if I drop my courses and FREE CITY is paying my enrollment fees?

a.    If you drop courses before the date to receive a full refund, you owe nothing. Refund deadlines are next to each course listing on the college website at

b.   If you drop after the deadline to receive a full refund, then you are liable for all applicable fees, and the money will be returned to the Free City Program.

 2)  What happens if I drop my course and I am receiving a FREE CITY stipend?

a.     If you drop all courses, before the refund deadline, you are liable for the stipend.

b.     If you drop from full time (12 credits or more) to part time (6-11 credits) after the refund deadline, you may be liable to return a portion of the stipend.

c.     If you drop below 6 credits, you may be liable to return the stipend.

3)   How do I maintain eligibility?

  • Remain both a California resident and a San Francisco resident. 
  • Qualify for a non-resident exemption (AB540, AB 13, AB2000).
  • Meet the California residency requirement as a homeless person or foster youth.
  • Continue to follow college policies and requirements listed in the College Catalog.

When can I register for Fall 2017?

  •  Web4 Registration for Continuing Students: May 3, 2017 - Aug 18, 2017
  •  Web4 Registration for New or readmit students: May 24, 2017 - Aug 18, 2017
  •  In Person Registration:  Aug 7, 2017 - Aug 18, 2017