Noncredit Frequently Asked


1.    Question:  Who is eligible to take a Noncredit class?    

a.    Anyone who is 18 years of age or older
b.    A minor who may benefit from instruction and has permission from both the local        high school district and a parent/guardian

2.    Question:  How do I apply for Noncredit Admissions?

Answer: If you are a:
a.    New Student
    i.    Apply – Complete a noncredit application
b.    High School Students (Concurrent Enrollment)
    i.    Complete a noncredit application
    ii.   Attach a High School Concurrent Enrollment Permission/Consent Form

3.    Question:  How do I enroll in a Noncredit class?

Answer: You should contact the A&E office at the center(s) that offers the class.       

Civic Center:  (415) 561-1033

Chinatown Center:  (415) 395-8601

Downtown Center:  (415) 267-6576

Evans Center: (415) 550-4410

John Adams Center:  (415) 561-1900

Mission Center:  (415) 920-6067

Ocean Campus:  (415) 452-7400

Southeast Center:  (415) 550-4344

a.    Pre-registration at the center(s) is required for enrolling in the following courses:    (pre-registration may include Placement Assessment, Orientation and Counseling):
    •    Adult Basic Skills
    •    Adult High School
    •    GED Preparation
    •    Business and Computer Skills
    •    Disabled Students Programs and Services
    •    English as a Second Language (ESL)
    •    Child Development and Family Services
    •    Health Care Technology and Health Science
b.    Go directly to the class and register in class for the following courses:
    •    Consumer Arts and Sciences
    •    Consumer Education
    •    Older Adults
    •    Trade and Industry
c.    If you want to enroll in ESL classes, you must take a noncredit ESL placement test.

4.    Question:  How do I take a Noncredit ESL placement test?

a.    Contact the center(s) where you will go take the test:


        Fall 2019

    i.    Civic Center :              (415) 561-1875
    ii.   Chinatown Center:      (415) 395-8601
    iii.  Downtown Center:      (415) 267-6543
    iv.  John Adams Center:   (415) 561-1835
    v.   Mission Center:           (415) 920-6067

    vi.   Ocean Campus:         (415) 239-3124
5.    Question:  Can a Noncredit student get a CCSF photo ID card?  How?

Answer: Yes.
a.    You can go to the following location for a CCSF photo ID card:
    i.    Ocean Campus:  MUB 150
           M – R 8:00am – 5:00pm
           F       9:00am – 2:00pm
    ii.    Civic Center: Room 104 (415) 561-1020
    iii.    Chinatown Center:  (415) 395-8601
    iv.    Downtown Center:  (415) 267-6543
    v.     Evans Center:  Room 101 (415) 550-4409
    vi.    John Adams Center:  Room 143 (415) 561-1934

    vii.    Mission Center:  Room 110 (415) 920-6067

6.    Question:  How do I register for Noncredit class online?

Answer: Online registration is NOT available for noncredit classes.  You must register in-person. 

7.    Question:  How do I print an unofficial Noncredit transcript online?

Answer: Unofficial transcripts may be obtained by the student via Student Portal at any time (during operating hours).  Usually the process is as follows:
a.    Log into Web4 (RAM ID Portal)
b.    Click on myProfile
c.    Click on Unofficial Transcript (on the left)
d.    Choose Transcript Level - Non-Credit Classes
e.    Then, click on the “submit” button
f.     Finally, print out your records

8.    Question:  What is my Username(RAM ID)?

Anwers: Ram ID is your Student ID Number, e.g. W77000000, @00000000, C00000000, or D00000000. 

9.    Question:  What is my password?
Answer: Your password is what you create when you first claim your RAM ID.

10.    Question:  What is the purpose of Security Question & Answer?

Answer: It is for you to reset your password yourself without calling for assistance.

11.    Question:  How do I change my password by myself?

Answer: Click on Forgot Password on the Ram ID Login page and follow the instructions.

12.    Question:  How do I reset my password with assistance?

Answer: Contact CCSF Helpdesk at (415) 239-3711 (option 5)

13.   Question:  How do I request an official Noncredit transcript?

Answer: An official transcript must be requested in writing, and may be submitted by mail, fax, or in-person.  We cannot take requests by phone.  You may fill out a CCSF – Noncredit Transcript Request form (separate form for each different address as required), and you must sign the form(s).  It takes 5 to 10 business days to process.  If there are academic records prior to 1984 (archive records), it may takes more time to search.

14.   Question:  How do I change my name?

Answer: You may come in person to Ocean center, MUB 150 or go to A&E office at the centers.

Note: When a student requests a name change, he/she must present legal documentation justifying the change, i.e. marriage certificate, court decree, etc. The revised name must appear in Banner exactly as it shows on the legal document.)

15.   Question:  How do I change my address?

Answer: You can either:

a.   Come in person to MUB, Room 150 with a picture ID.

b.   Fax (415) 452-5592 or mail to 50 Frida Kahlo Way, MUB 150, San Francisco, CA 94112, a Change of Directory form, and a copy of your picture ID.

16.    Question:  Can international student with F1 visa enroll in a Noncredit class?

Answer: International students with a F1 visa may enroll in noncredit courses however they must be enrolled in a full-time status (twelve units) at their Home School.  NONCREDIT COURSES CANNOT COUNT TOWARD FULL-TIME STATUS.  Please check with your International Student Counselor for more information.

Visa Type:  F-1     Academic student

Is it permissible to enroll in Noncredit free classes while in F-1 status?

International students with a F1 visa may enroll in noncredit courses however they must be enrolled in a full-time status (12 units) at their Home School.  NONCREDIT COURSES CANNOT COUNT TOWARD FULL-TIME STATUS.  Please check with your International Student Counselor for more information.

You may enter in the F-1 visa category provided you meet the following criteria:

1.  You must be enrolled in an "academic" educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program

2.  Your school must be approved by the Student and Exchange    Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement

3.  You must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution

4.  You must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency

5.  You must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study

6.  You must maintain a residence abroad which he/she has no intention of giving up.

More information on F-1 visa


Visa Type:  B-1/B-2     Visitor for business or pleasure

Is it permissible to enroll in school while in B-1/B-2 status?

No, it is NOT permissible to enroll in any class.  The regulations, at 8 CFR 214.2(b)(7), specifically prohibit study in the United States while in B-1 or B-2 status.

More information on B-1/B-2 Visa

17.    Question:  Is Noncredit student eligible for financial aid?

Answer: Yes, noncredit students are eligible for financial aid as long as he/she enrolls in a noncredit certificate program.

18.    Question:  How can I find out more information about Noncredit certificate programs that are eligible for financial assistance?

Answer: You may contact a Financial Aid counselor for further information.

        Civic Center Center:     (415)561-1875
        Chinatown Center:       (415)395-8601
        Downtown Center:       (415)267-6565
        John Adams Center:    (415)561-1012
        Ocean Center:              (415)239-3567
        Mission Center:           (415)920-6063

19.    Question:  How do I petition for a Noncredit certificate?

a.    Complete a “Petition For Noncredit Certificate” form for each certificate.
b.    Logon to Web4 to print out an unofficial transcript.
c.    Make an appointment with a counselor.
d.    If there is any course substitution request, a Petition For Course Substitution/Equivalency form must be submitted with Department Chairperson/Designee approval.
e.    If there is any course waiver request, a Petition For Waiver Of Certification Requirement(s) form must be submitted with Department Chairperson/Designee approval.
f.    Bring the unofficial transcript, the certificate chart and all necessary documents to meet with a counselor to go through the certificate requirements.

20.    Question:  How do I find out my certificate is ready for me?


Contact:   Cindy Tang
                Noncredit Admissions & Records
                50 Frida Kahlo Way, MUB 160
                Tel:  (415) 452-5178
                Fax:  (415) 452-5592