The Broadcast Electronic Media Arts department prepares students for university transfer and provides degree holders and job seekers the opportunity to upgrade workplace skills and prepare for career transition. Graduates either transfer to a university or seek employment in the media industries in the following occupations:
- Video Industry
Directors, producers, videographers/camera operators, announcers, broadcast journalists, media managers, digital effects and broadcast motion graphics technicians, equipment technicians, television, cable, satellite and Internet programming, corporate/industrial video production, field and studio video pre-production, production and post-production, video production for mobile devices and games, marketing/advertising, and public relations.
- Audio Industry
Sound producers and sound editors in radio, television, film, and games, live sound event production, live sound recording/mobile recording, music studio recording, sound design for visual and interactive media, sound broadcast for the Internet, audio production for mobile devices, and emerging media technology specialist, audiovisual support services.
There is steady annual job growth (2% -11%) for entry-level employment directly related to BEMA certificate programs and curriculum. Salaries have increased significantly from previous data. Sample salaries include:
- Producer: $68,440 | $38.90/hr
- Writer: $100,330 / $48hr
- Camera Operator: $67,320 / $33.66hr
- Sound Engineer: $56,500 / $27
- Music Producer: $27,000 (staff), $40,000 (Freelance), $50K-$70K
- Video Editor: 79,740 / $39.87hr
- Video Producer: $124,760 / $62.38hr
- Radio Broadcaster / Reporter: $43,000 / $21
- Radio News Analyst: $50,000 / $24
- Advertising Sales: $65,440 $32.75hr
- Announcer: $27,010 | $12.99/hr.
- Broadcast Sound Engineering Technician and Radio Operators: $55,490 / 26.68hr
- Media and Communications Equipment Workers: $56,710 | $27.27/hr
- Audio and Video Equipment Technicians: $55,490 | $26.68/hr
- Set Designer: $46,680 | $22.44/hr.
- Media Archivist: $45,200 | $21.73/hr.
- Art Director: $80.603 | $38.77/hr.
Updated November 2013
BEMA Certificate programs:
- Audio and Video for the Web
- Broadcast Motion Graphics
- Digital Radio News
- Digital Radio Production and Performance
- Digital Radio Management
- Live Sound
- Multimedia Journalism
- Rich Media Production
- Sound Design
- Sound Recording
- Television Production
- Video Postproduction
- Video Production and Editing
E-mail questions to firstname.lastname@example.org