The City College Art Gallery is located in the Visual Art Building, v119, on the Ocean Campus of City College of San Francisco. The gallery is wheelchair accessible, free to the public, and just a few blocks from the Balboa BART station. Please call 415.239.3157 for gallery hours.
Drifting on the Edge of a Rude Paradise
April 16 – May 10, 2018
Reception: Wednesday, May 2, 5:30 to 7:30pm
Artist Bio: Alan Firestone has a very active professional art career. He has been exhibiting his art nationally for over 40 years. He has had numerous exhibitions in New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco. His work is in many prestigious private and public art collections. He has been awarded public and private commissions. Over the course of this career he has been awarded many grants and awards in the visual arts.
Artist Statement: The essence of my exploration is the condensation of thought expressed through materials and images. I endeavor to develop new artistic vocabularies that explore personal, universal and social themes. When I am successful with a project, I feel that I have placed one infinitely small pebble on the mountain of work that has been created by the artists who have come before me.
The City College Art Gallery’s Mission
- Establish City College Art Gallery as an important arts destination for citizens of San Francisco and the Greater Bay Area, stimulating awareness, support, and participation in the arts.
- Provide a free, publicly accessible venue for art.
- Provide meaningful cultural and learning experiences for City College students.
- Introduce art students to juried exhibitions and visiting artist-led workshops.
- Offer hands-on training in all aspects of gallery management, providing them practical job skills in order to gain employment.