Nutrition Assistant - Credit Certificate Curriculum
The Nutrition Assistant Program starts each Fall Semester.
Admission to the program is based on the following:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or have passed the
G.E.D. test or have passed the California High School Proficiency
- Completion of HLTH 170: Introduction to Dietetics Profession with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Recommended completion of ENGL 91 or ENGL 86 or ESL 150 with a grade of “C” or higher, or placement in ENGL 93 or ENGL 95 or ENGL 88 or ESL 160.
** All applicants to the program must enroll in HLTH 170 which is offered the first five weeks of the Fall semester. Upon completion of HLTH 170 with a grade of "C" or higher, you are admitted to the program and will enroll in the other courses which start the sixth week of the same semester. Program is limited to a maximum of 30 students.
The minimum time for completion of this certificate is 2 semesters plus 1 month. The field experience is a late-start course that extends 5 weeks past the end of the regular semester. Completion time will vary based on student preparation and number of classes completed per semester.
Requirements for Certificate of Achievement - Nutrition Assistant
The certificate requires completion of 20 units. Each course must be completed with a final grade of "C" or higher and a "P" grade in HLTH 175L.
Sequence of Required Completion:
First Semester (Fall)
HLTH 170 - Intro to Dietetics Profession, 1 Unit
HLTH 171 - Nutrition for Health (or equivalent basic nutrition
course), 3 Units
HLTH 172 - Foodways, Nutrition and Health, 3 Units
Second Semester (Spring)
HLTH 173 - Life Span Nutrition and Assessment, 4 Units
HLTH 174A - Intro to Clinical Nutrition, 2 Units
- HLTH 174B - Community Nutrition, 2 Units
- HLTH 175 - Nutrition Assistant Field Experience, 4.5 Units
- HLTH 175L - Nutrition Assistant Clinic, 0.5 units
TOTAL UNITS REQUIRED = 20