Nutrition Assistant - Credit Certificate Curriculum
The Nutrition Assistant Program starts each Fall Semester.
Admission to the program is based on the following:
- Graduation from an accredited high school or have passed the
G.E.D. test or have passed the California High School Proficiency
- Completion of HLTH 170: Introduction to Dietetics Profession with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Recommended English proficiency level: Placement in ENGL 90 or ESL 160, or completion of ESL 150 with a grade of “C” or higher.
** All applicants to the program must enroll in HLTH 170 which is offered the first five weeks of the Fall semester. Upon completion of HLTH 170 with a grade of "C" or higher, you are admitted to the program and will enroll in the other courses which start the sixth week of the same semester. Program is limited to a maximum of 30 students.
Requirements for Certificate of Achievement - Nutrition Assistant
The certificate requires completion of 17 units. Each course must be completed with a final grade of “C” or higher and a Pass grade in the field experience.
Sequence of Required Completion:
First Semester (Fall)
HLTH 170 - Intro to Dietetics Profession, 1 Unit
HLTH 171 - Nutrition for Health (or equivalent basic nutrition
course), 3 Units
HLTH 172 - Foodways, Nutrition and Health, 3 Units
Second Semester (Spring)
HLTH 173 - Life Span Nutrition and Assessment, 4 Units
HLTH 174 - Clinical and Community Nutrition, 4 Units
- HLTH 175 - Nutrition Assistant Field Experience, 4.5 Units
- HLTH 175L - Nutrition Assistant Clinic, 0.5 units
TOTAL UNITS REQUIRED = 20