Nutrition Assistant Certificate
The Nutrition Assistant (NA) Program values the promotion of healthy living through education, nutrition resources, meal programs, support and referral in our diverse multi-ethnic populations. The program is committed to train students to provide culturally sensitive, quality nutrition care to help clients achieve optimal health and well-being at every stage of life.
The goal of the Nutrition Assistant Program is to promote knowledge and develop skills and competencies in the delivery of nutrition education, nutrition services, and community resource referrals in public health programs and hospitals.
Who We Are
The Nutrition Assistant Program is a two-semester certificate program designed to develop competency in the delivery of nutrition-related services. Graduates of the program work as entry-level nutrition staff in public health settings and hospitals.
Upon successful completion of the program students will be able to:
- Develop and attain the knowledge, skills, and competencies in the delivery of nutrition-related services in preparation for entry-level employment in the nutrition field.
- Apply and integrate theoretical knowledge and acquire practical skills at supervised practice sites under the guidance of a registered dietitian.
- Describe the organization, its goals / purposes, and delivery of services.
- Communicate program value.
- Conduct program evaluation.
- Apply knowledge of basic nutrition principles.
- Demonstrate cross-cultural competence and respect for diversity.
- Maintain effective internal and external partnership and interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrate personal accountability.
- Maintain accurate records and reports.
- Demonstrate excellence in teaching.
- Administer nutrition screening, assessment, and counseling (of low-risk clients under supervision of Registered Dietitian).
- Apply knowledge of food safety and sanitation.
- Demonstrate technology literacy.
- Achieve or progress towards educational or career advancement in nutrition and health field.