Medical Assisting Program
The Medical Assisting Program offers an Associates of Science Degree in:
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Administrative
Students can also earn a Certifcate of Achievement in:
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Biller
- Medical Evaluation Assistant
Students must complete English 91 or place in English 92 or higher
OR complete ESL 150 or place in ESL 160 or higher
Students must complete Math E or place in Math 40 or higher.
Medical Assistants have a great amount of variety in their jobs and are cross-trained to perform many administrative and clinical duties. Duties vary from office to office depending on the location, size, and specialty.
Administrative duties may include:
- Computer applications
- Greeting patients and answering telephones
- Scheduling appointments
- Updating patient medical records
- Coding and completing insurance claim forms
- Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- Handling correspondence, billing, and bookkeeping
Clinical duties vary by state but include:
- Taking medical histories and vital signs
treatments and procedures to patients
- Preparing patients for examinations
- Assisting the physician during examinations
- Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens
- Performing basic laboratory tests
- Instructing patients about medications and special diets
- Authorizing prescription refills as directed
- Preparing and administering medications as directed by a
- Performing electrocardiograms
- Drawing blood
- Removing sutures and changing dressings
Visit the American Association of Medical Assistants web site for more information about the profession of Medical Assisting.
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, Medical Assisting is one of the nation's fastest growing careers with an expected growth of 29 percent between 2012 and 2022.
Approximately 50 percent of medical assistants work in physician offices. Other areas of employment include hospital outpatient clinics, private and specialty clinics, insurance companies, and billing agencies.