Child Development & Family Studies
The goal of the Child Development & Family Studies Department at City College of
San Francisco is to provide a developmentally appropriate education for students,
families and children that reflects a commitment to high quality and a broad
understanding of how children learn and grow.
Go to Programs to find out more about:
- Course, Certificate, Degree and Transfer Information
- Careers with Children and Youth
- Student Support Prgrams and Resources
- Services, Child Care and Programs for Parents
Go to the Careers link for the information about career opportunities and placement centers.
Enrollment is open to all students interested in working with children or youth in early childhood, K-12 classrooms or school-age and youth programs. Click here for Admissions and Records.
- Transferring to a Four-Year College
The AS Degree with a Major in Child Development allows students to earn a degree at CCSF that includes specialized courses in child development. A new AS-T degree is also available that is specifically designed for students interested in transfer to a four-year college or university to pursue further career goals. Students may continue coursework in child development, education, and related fields such as social work or counseling. Students may also continue to pursue an elementary, secondary or CTE teaching credential (required to teach in public K through 12 schools in California) or receive a BA or BS degree in a related field. Additional courses may be needed for future K-12 teachers.
- Certificates in Child Development
Child Development Department Certificates are available to students in a variety of topics including:
- Child Development: Practitioner Certificate - 18 units
- Infant Toddler Certificate - 18 units
- School-Age Certificate - 18 units
- Administration Certificate - 18 units
- Professional Development & Advocacy Certificate - 18 units
- Violence Intervention Certificate - 18 units
- Family Childcare Certificate - 6 units
- Pre-Teacher Certificate - 12 units
- Appreciating Diversity Certificate - 6 units
- Youth Worker Certificate - 24 units
- Special Education: Early Intervention or K-12 Focus - 18
Find out more about our programs on our Program page, or visit our catalog page, or register for classes, or call (415) 239-3172.
CDEV Department in the News!
Read about new CDEV Program in the SF Women's Jail. Feature article in SF Examiner, 7/23/15 - http://www.sfexaminer.com/unlocking-potential-s-f-county-jail-offers-first-college-credit-classes-to-inmates/
Changes to Child Development Permit Fees through the Commission on Teacher
Credentialing (CTC) and Child Development Training Consortium (CDTC)
The fee for Child Development Permits at CTC increased to $100 and $50, due to the state budget for fiscal year 2015-2016, and went into effect on July 1, 2015.
At City College of San Francisco, the Professional Development Project (PDP) Career Advisors assist with the permit applications. Upon completion of the application, Advisors issue a receipt as a Verification of Completion when that is requested. This serves as a proxy for some employers, and some funders, while permits are being processed through the CTC. For more information see:
Telephone: PDP at 415-452-5605 for services in English, Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin and Vietnamese